OUCH! ... anyone have Rare Earth in Concert (Live)???

Daddy Dee

Well, I have just been blown away with the price of this OOP CD.

Amazon sellers have six available used, STARTING at $125 and ranging in price to $255!!!

(shipping is free - why not?)

This is one of my all time favorites back when I had vinyl. It was released in '71 and was a pretty good recording. There's a 23+ minute recording of Get Ready which like everything else on the album is fabulous. It's the one with the cool brown knapsack cover.

Had been hoping to obtain this to play at a get together with some of my old roommates. However, I don't think I'll be purchasing it after all. The temptation is great, but I'm not that tempted. There is one up for auction on Ebay that is bid up to $86. Have no clue what it might be able to be sniped for, but, that is still pretty high, IMO.

Anyone have this CD that you'd consider sending it out for a weekend rental?12.gif

Daddy Dee,

Many years ago, my wife and I were up in northern Wisconsin with another couple. I had just installed a nice system in my car and we had it crankin' right next to the campfire. I put in the cassette tape and that 23 + minute version of "Get Ready" came on. The two young women did the "shimmy" the entire time and with the help of Jack Daniels it went on to be a night to remember. Thanks for bringing that tune up. Ya made my day!

11.gif9.gif

Boomac,

Yep, great memories there.

m00n,

Rare Earth is a bunch of white boys who had a contract on Motown. I'm not really sure what you'd call their genre. They had a fair number of top forty tunes, but back in the late 60's top forty wasn't pop. Rare Earth was kind of a rocking R&B, but in their live recordings had some very nice bluesy improvisations on their tunes.

Great song and lp. A alternate option my be Universal musics 20th century masters series.

They have a Cd titled "The Best of Rare Earth" it has a 21:29 minute cut of Get Ready. Remastered, and a well recored and sounding CD.

Play List:

Get Ready 21:29

I Just want To celebrate 3:36

(I Know) I'm Loosing You 10:54

Born To Wonder 3:19

Hey Big Brother 4:45

What'd I say 7:19

Ma 17:19

Was that the live album that looked like a green canvas knapsack? I had a friend who had that- great jams. The drummer was the lead singer, what a tough job!

Here's another great option for Rare Earth. Anthology on Motown records 31453-0486-2, 2 CD's 36 tunes in FULLdimensionalSOUL (says so on the cover)

what kind of music, think blue collar, white man's soul music, they used to cover Ray Charles, Smokey Robinson, and some written by Barry Gibb. MOTOWN label says it all.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 5:33:20 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Was that the live album that looked like a green canvas knapsack? I had a friend who had that- great jams. The drummer was the lead singer, what a tough job!

Here's another great option for Rare Earth. Anthology on Motown records 31453-0486-2, 2 CD's 36 tunes in FULLdimensionalSOUL (says so on the cover)

what kind of music, think blue collar, white man's soul music, they used to cover Ray Charles, Smokey Robinson, and some written by Barry Gibb. MOTOWN label says it all.

----------------

Yep, that was the one. I was remembering it as brown, but it sure could have been green or olive drab.

White man's soul music is pretty well said.

I agree with you Dee, that's a bit pricey.

I used to listen to Rare Earth every day when I was in the USAF 78-83. My first roomate was ten years older than I was and he turned me on to them. I love "Get Ready". Talk about a song made for a party.

Thanks for bringing back the memories Dee!

BTW......he had Cornwalls!! 9.gif