Velodyne DLS-4000

mark1101

Did not hear,test this sub.But I am sure of a few things and can tell you right now that this sub bests the KSW series and is below the RSW.

Its a small step up from the RW series in bass quality,not in output.This sub should be quite potent to 31.5Hz and will drop like a stone at 25Hz and be next to silent at 20Hz.

Knowing the CHT and SPL and HGS series my guess should be spot on.

Thanks people,

Last night I bought a DLS-4000 at Hi-Fi-Buys and I think I got a decent deal. Before I bought it, I went to every place in town and tried out every sub I could get my hands on over the last couple of nights. There were none of the high enders around like the Velo DDs. And noone has SVS. So I just checked out what was available.

Honestly, and I don't mean to get negative here but there wasn't even one that truly impressed me all that much. Mostly because I am using the sub in a music application. Lots of them sounded fine for HT.

I just thought that they all had just a too much boominess and distortion. Now I understand why there are the big dollar subs. I am sure they are probably what I was really looking for but I just couldn't afford them.

So I settled for the DLS-4000 which was actually one of the best I heard. I think the RSW-12 sounded a hair better, but was was way more expensive.

So anyhow I got it home and played with it for a couple of hours. Now I think I am going to have to go back and get a second one. Then, I think I will be satisfied. I am using these with a pair of LaScalas.

I paid $378 for the first one. Maybe I can get a better deal on the second. I don't think that a single $800 sub would have done much better than one DSL-4000. So I don't feel too badly about buying a second. Actually I'm thinking two of these for $800 isn't really too bad. I was going to get the SVS PB-2 ISD for $899 plus shipping.

Does anyone know if one of those SVS-PB-2 ISD would be better than 2 DSL-4000s? I can still bring the first DSL-4000 back.

Thanks for any info.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 8:45:48 AM mark1101 wrote:

Thanks people,

Last night I bought a DLS-4000 at Hi-Fi-Buys and I think I got a decent deal. Before I bought it, I went to every place in town and tried out every sub I could get my hands on over the last couple of nights. There were none of the high enders around like the Velo DDs. And noone has SVS. So I just checked out what was available.

Honestly, and I don't mean to get negative here but there wasn't even one that truly impressed me all that much. Mostly because I am using the sub in a music application. Lots of them sounded fine for HT.

I just thought that they all had just a too much boominess and distortion. Now I understand why there are the big dollar subs. I am sure they are probably what I was really looking for but I just couldn't afford them.

So I settled for the DLS-4000 which was actually one of the best I heard. I think the RSW-12 sounded a hair better, but was was way more expensive.

So anyhow I got it home and played with it for a couple of hours. Now I think I am going to have to go back and get a second one. Then, I think I will be satisfied. I am using these with a pair of LaScalas.

I paid $378 for the first one. Maybe I can get a better deal on the second. I don't think that a single $800 sub would have done much better than one DSL-4000. So I don't feel too badly about buying a second. Actually I'm thinking two of these for $800 isn't really too bad. I was going to get the SVS PB-2 ISD for $899 plus shipping.

Does anyone know if one of those SVS-PB-2 ISD would be better than 2 DSL-4000s? I can still bring the first DSL-4000 back.

Thanks for any info.

----------------

A single SVS 25-31PCi should have around twice the output of single DLS4000 and since the the PB2-ISD performs similarly to two 25-31PCi's, it is a no brainer.

Frank,

First, here's why I think I need 2 subs. I don't think it is about power. I am not even using close to what the DLS can do. I have it on about 5-6 and my pre out on the amp is set at 4. Not even using close to the power it has. In fact I'm crossing at 50-60Hz just so I fill in where the LaScalas begin to fall off (with some overlap). If I turn the sub any louder, it overpowers the LaScalas completely. Plus, frankly the damn sub is to slow and sloppy. If I cross it any higher, that issue really shows up.

The reason I think I need two subs is that almost no matter where I put it, it does not do a good job on a 2 Ch system for imaging. I can almost always tell where the sub is. I'm actually not all that dissatisfied with the performance, I just need more complete fill. More seemless fill. I've tried corners, walls, ect. If I had two of them, I wouldn't even be writing this. I'd be having a brew.

Now that being said, do you still think a single "better" unit would suffice? The object is the best sound. I'm not at all opposed to bringing what I have back. But I want to be sure. The issue with SVS and some of these other high end subs is "where do you go and give them a listen" ?

I really appreciate the info here folks. Thanks1.gif

That Velodyne F1800R II that I think you are bidding on at eBay will decimate two of those 4000's, remember Servo baby! While that 4000 will keep up at lower volumes it will peter out long before the La Scala's reach their maximum output. But hey if you are satisfied with its performance that is all that truly matters.

You won't find an SVS subwoofer in a store they are only sold online. Prior to me getting my dual Velodyne F1500R's, the SVS PB2+ would have been my only other choice. The dual 15's are sick, the volume is on "3" and I have the preamp at +3db and they will send shockwaves through your body that are clean and low. You sense it more than you really hear it since they are crossed at 60hz via the preamp.

A second 4000 will obviously make a difference over a single one, and if you like the way it sounds is probably the way to go unless you can get that F1800R II in the price range you have set for yourself.

Frozen,

You know I never did let the LaScalas really scream yet with this new sub (tonight + beer). So I can't vouch for how it is at really loud volumes. But I hear ya and believe what you are saying. It will probably start to distort while the LaScalas continue on up smoothly. Just haven't tried it yet. Two won't fix that.

Basically I'm finding out that there's no cheap way out of this one, period. And yeah, it was me bidding on the biggie.

Thanks

----------------

On 9/17/2004 11:35:19 AM Frzninvt wrote:

That Velodyne F1800R II that I think you are bidding on at eBay will decimate two of those 4000's, remember Servo baby! While that 4000 will keep up at lower volumes it will peter out long before the La Scala's reach their maximum output. But hey if you are satisfied with its performance that is all that truly matters.

You won't find an SVS subwoofer in a store they are only sold online. Prior to me getting my dual Velodyne F1500R's, the SVS PB2+ would have been my only other choice. The dual 15's are sick, the volume is on "3" and I have the preamp at +3db and they will send shockwaves through your body that are clean and low. You sense it more than you really hear it since they are crossed at 60hz via the preamp.

A second 4000 will obviously make a difference over a single one, and if you like the way it sounds is probably the way to go unless you can get that F1800R II in the price range you have set for yourself.

----------------

Ahem,yes a F1800R II will take two of these little Velodynes couterparts to school,its a no brainer.More linear travel,greater cone surface,more amp power.But for the price you better get more than twice the output down low.And servo

control reduced output in favor of cleaner output(much less distortion,bettercone control...better defined bass).

Dual F1500 are plenty,about the outout of a single HGS18 1.gif and my HGS18...its almost plenty for me in the larger room,well not quite need three other bruisers to keep the HGS company 4.gif

Ah the joys of subwoofing

Well, you guys must be deaf with all those subs 2.gif I got a head ache earlier tonight trying to get things right with my 1 cheap little 12" feeble, non-servo, distortion box. I'm not kidding, I had to get out of the house for awhile. I was doing the "put your ear right in front of the thing test" over and over.

I finally got the DLS-4000 dialed in and I honestly can see that what you guys are using would be much better. BUt, I have a decent situation for the money. That's basically it. How much will you spend for a better hit in the chest? I probably should have gone for the SVS PB2-ISD. That was my limit. But I chickened out since it was an internet deal and I couldn't hear it first. From everything I have read, it would have been fine.

Oh well, I'm in the game, and now I understand.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll definitely enjoy my Vel DLS-4000 until a time for an upgrade presents itself. The DLS is a respectable sub for anyone who wants to spend $400 or less. I guess that's my review. Worth it!! But it just gets you into the game.

Thanks again.9.gif