Academy as surrounds ??

sire

I have Forte IIs up front with RB-5s as surrounds. Space issues make it kinda hard to use full size speakers. I cannot place surrounds in the optimum location per Dolby so they are on stands about 4 feet behind and 2 feet to the side of my lazy boy.

I was thinking about the possibility of using Academies vertically for the rear if somehow I could stumble on a set. On a lark I bid on a black Academy a few weeks ago and somehow won the bid.

I wish I could purchase another set of Fortes but at the moment it is not feasible. Will using Academies as surrounds be a large improvement over the Rb-5s?

I bet finding an oak oil Academy will be pure luck

Mike

I have Forte II's as fronts with an academy center. I have thought that a pair of academies would make great surrounds for the space challenged. After installing the academy at center, I have also realized that if there were no interference with the video, with space and set up allowing, there is clearly no substitute for another Forte II at center, and what the heck throw in another pair for surrounds. At today's prices for academies, this could be done for the same or even less dinero. Would you even need a sub? Maybe, but I think it would be the last unit to add.

I have two Forte II's as fronts, an Academy for a center, an RSW 15 Sub and two more Forte II's in the back for a hopefully matched, music 5.1 system. It sure sounds perfect to me.

However, I also have a pair of RS-7's that I am going to use for "movie surrounds" on the side. I also have two more Academys(Got a great deal!) that I am going to use as "back surrounds" for a 7.1 system.

I am powering all this with a Denon 3505 whcih allows for conncetion of nine speakers, with a choice between two sets of surrounds.

When I get all this hooked up I will let you know the result. So far I just have the 5.1 system working and I love it. SACD's and DVD-A's sound great!

Best,

Mike

It seems to me that using an Academy for a surround is a mismatch of its intended purpose in life - a center channel speaker. For what they sell for these days, you could do a lot better. I use a pair of KG-1's (oiled oak) with FORTE-II's in the front L and R position with the Academy in the Center - where it belongs. a SVS sub rounds out the mix. The KG 1's do a great job as rear surrounds with this mix of vintage Klipsch speakers. I paid 250 bucks for them new back in 1990. When calibrating the system using an SPL meter, the KG-1's had to be turned up about +4Db to match the levels of the forte and academy. The systems is balenced and sounds great.

Academy's will do a stellar job at being main's or rear surrounds regardless of the fact that their intended purpose was for use as a center. However, with the rarity of them and the price that they command it is almost foolish to do so unless you already possess them. There are probably better choices.

I totally concur with the KG1! What a fabulous little speaker, one of the only bookshelves that PWK/Gilliam designed that was sealed and not ported. I bought a pair about a year and half ago in mint condition and with the original carton and documentation for $200. I have no use for them so they are part of my 3yr old girl's system with an KSC-C1 center and they sound awesome with her Onkyo TX-906 receiver.

• 3 weeks later...