Phono amp suggestions?

Shade

I'm hoping to get a few suggestions for a new phono amp. My player is a Rega P3 with a Shure V15VxMR cart. I've been running it through an old Pioneer SX-1050 (late 70's) receiver with a Niles amp-switcher & my RF-7's. I'd like to take the receiver out of the picture and tie it into my main system (Lex MC1 pre & Outlaw 7100 amp) using the volume control on the Lex & the zone2 keeping everything analog. My budget's around $350-$500.

I found a thread that mentioned the MEIXING MC-767RD on http://www.sekei.com. Looks pretty tempting, though I don't really have much experience with tube gear. Anyone have one of these?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the Tom Evans Micro Phono Stage. Might be a bit expensive for you, but is one of the best value solid state units on the market. For a budget phono stage, have a look at the NAD PP2. MM only but would be a significant upgrade to what you were using. Some other forum members may be able to help with tube alternatives.

For a tube phono preamp I that I have actually listened to I can recommend the Mini Phono by ASL. Even with the stock tubes its performance belies its relatively modest price and once you roll in some NOS tubes, you won't regret your purchase. Caveat: like most/all tube phono preamps this accepts 'only' MM or High Output MC cartridges but should work fine with the Shure.

Wolfram

Another nice tubed unit (that operates with both high output and low output carts) is the EAR 834P. They are available used in the $550-$700 range. There is much info available on mods and tube rolling for this piece. Mine sounds great to me.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Right now I think I'm between the ASL mini phono & the musical fidelity.

Another question if I may, as the ASL with the tubes got me thinking. I've been interested in tube gear for a while, and from what I've read here the Scott 299 would be a good place to start. Does anyone know the quality of the phono stage on the Scott or how it would compare to any of the phono amps suggested here? I'm wondering if I might be better off just taking the plunge and getting a tube setup.

Thanks