Build a scaled down version...?

Coytee

Just sitting here reading stuff before going to bed listneing to music over my Promedias.

Got to thinking... wouldn't it be interesting (?) if you could build some K-horns that are like 12" tall (inches, not feet) and use them for pc (I have walls and could use "corner speakers" that are about 15" tall or less.

Anyway, got to thinking that might be an interesting endeavour for the sake of it...

if I were to pursue that, where might one get drawings and more importantly, drivers... what kind/size driver might one use.

I realize with size you'd have some tradeoffs probably, so it's not endeavour to reproduce smaller sonic version of khorns (though interesting if it could)

just letting my mind think some prior to bed and thought it might be a fun project just for the sake of it.

ok guys... shoot my idea full of holes.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

You don't want your speakers to put you to sleep, you want them to wake you up.

Scaled down versions do exist, Bose audio products might interest you.

But if your interest remains with life-size audio then learn about T-lines and enclosures and you will find that today's audio gear is already "scaled"

Its a sound wave, you can manipulate it but you must sacrifice something else to acheive it.

Ok dudes...I already have some LaScallas that I bought back in about 1980/81, so I UNDERSTAND the realities about size...

sigh

Do we have/listen to Promedias?

Coldn't you clone them to "look" like a K horn? out of fun for ntohing else?

I'll look at website, was only a question to make something crafty & sound nice, not to compete with the real deal (which I know well, tyvm)

Now that I'm more awake & re-read this..I'm still a bit letdown with the sophormic responses... I've come to expect more from you people here.

Now with that said, maybe I'll clarify my comment (IE, repeat what I said in beginning) and see if you can better comprehend the question.

First... let's see a raise of hands... how many of you use your Khorns for your PC speakers? Hmm.. let's see those hands now... how about use LaScallas for your pc??? If you read the initial question it DOES point out that FOR USING WITH YOUR PC, which seems to me, will INHERENTLY have "less" bass than a full sized Khorn/other? Perhaps, even less bass than an Academy (of which I have 3)

Sigh again.

Ok.. so let's clarify this

Setup: Right now as you are reading this, you are possibly listening to something/anything over some little tinny sounding PC speakers.

Don't you think it would be at least semi-cool/nice/interesting if instead of looking at what ever little tin box you are looking at, you could be looking at a "downsized clone" of a LaScalla, or Khorn or Bell or another?

I've read some sympathies for something about people being laid off in Hope because production slowed down... well.. what if these very same people could make these? this would make them "real" and not "clones" anymore, AND help keep the core of people gainfully employed so they'd be there when orders of the BIG stuff came in.

Frankly, FOR A PC speaker, I'd be tickled pink to be able to purchase a baby brother to my Lascallas... Oh.. and "no bass"??? Well, don't many pc speakers (look under your desk maybe) use a "sub"??? well, gee... would it not be possible to use SAME thing to help out?

NO ONE said/asked/inferred that these scaled down versions would have to have same output as the "real deal". As cool as it may be... who would WANT to be sitting at their pc with some full sized LaScallas blistering their ears 3' away?

Geez people read what's said, open your mind a bit & comprehend.

Now, go ahead & shoot holes in my comments, but at least, make it towards my idea & not out in left field.

Let's reiterate so you dont forget... I'm NOT talking about a 12" tall Khorn for use in your HOME sound system, ok? did you get it this time? Again, it's for PC use.

sigh again. I woke up an hour ago and it still got under my skin (your inability to read)

I designed a mini-La Scala using a 4.5" midbass in a folded horn and a fairly efficient dome tweeter. Maybe I had small horns in there too... I forget- it was a long time ago. I never built it either... I was just bored. It would be pretty cool. I did actually build a horn-loaded speaker for computer use once... but only made one and gave up the project because I was too lazy to make another. It used a 3" speaker and had audible response to 30Hz. 3.gif Oh, and it was build in a shoebox, too. So it was heel-loaded. I added a tweeter on top that really brought the sound alive. It was pretty neat... everyone I showed it to loved it. Maybe if I get some spare time after I build my new sub I'll look at this again...

Using a small horn, bass response will be shot, but if you can manage 120Hz or so out of it, you'd be fine. ProMedia's are crossed over at 160Hz or something even... so 120Hz would be somewhat better and should be attainable, I think. Horn tweeters/midrange would be a problem. You'd probably have to just settle with a single dome tweeter, or maybe a piezo driver. Unless there are some ultra tiny horn tweeters I haven't seen... except for those on PM's, I have not seen any available for direct purchase.