Aragon Or Rotel amp??

caveboy

----------------

On 9/28/2004 7:16:15 AM caveboy wrote:

Since most of the forumeers say that the RF-5 was not worth the extra money over the RF-35.. Still very confused over this.. If i buy the RF-35 setup, will buying the aragon 2005 be too powerfull 4 the setup? My listening area is about 3 X 3.5m...

----------------

I don't think the 2005 will be too powerful, you will just have a lot of power left for dynamics and headroom.

Regarding receivers as pre-pros, in my limited experience I have to agree completely with Chuckears. When I got rid of my HK receiver and replaced with my Outlaw 950 I was floored. I can't wait to see what my Heresy's and aragon 2005 do when I get my Stage One.

Everyone has made valid points and given some sound advice. As a Rotel amp owner, I do agree somewhat that paired up with the wrong pre/pro, Rotel amps can lack some detail and soundstage. Additionally, they can seem a tad laid back. However, keep in mind some basic concepts.

Your pre/pro choice is usually going to be a more important variable in your overall sound as opposed to your amp. With respect to the audiophile or ear candy quotient that Chuckears mentioned, Rotel amps can provide the necessary clarity and detail, IF paired up with the right processor. In my case, after some searching and demoing, those processors ended up being a Classe and a Peach. I cannot really provide a comparison with the Aragon amp since I had not yet had the pleasure of hearing one, but I can vouch for the Rotel in respect to its ability to portray a live performance, etc. - again, if paired up with the right processor.

What does that mean? Shop processors first. Get the best you can. Then investigate amps. In the ideal world, you would want the perceived high-end quotient of your amp to equal that of your processor, but that is not always possible, or in some cases, desired. There are plenty here who have mixed and matched preamp brands with amp brands, etc. Try to demo a number of various combinations, if you can. Don't just take our word for it. In my case, I put more money into my processors as opposed to my amps, and am pleased with the results. Ultimately, it comes down to your budget, but I would put your money initially into the pre/pro and then, into the amp.

As for speakers, I know you've been down this road in another thread, but I still say you should opt for the RF-7s, regardless of how small you think that room is. If for no other reason, than for the improved horn/1.75" compression driver (but there are other reasons, of course).

But, please spend some money and/or effort in treating your room, if you have not done so already. Otherwise, you may not like the results at high volumes, no matter which speakers, pre/amps, or amps you end up running.

Carl.

We all heard the Aragon at the Klipsch weekend 2004 here in Indy. It was played with the Heritage, and new Reference gear and even in the the THX Demo room. It is a fantastic fit pre amp / amp for Klipsch. It is not cheap, but look at how many CD's and DVD's we all have. In the long run that is where our "real money" is spent well over any piece of gear, as it should be. But you also get what you pay for. The Aragon gear is just fantastic from an engineering point of view and more importantly performance wise in your house too.

I will be the first to admit you get biased by what you have too. (Or in the case of Griff, what he can sell offer you no matter how noble his cause to bring you only the best in audio too. Not to be taken as a slam on Griff, he is a very knowledgeable and nice guy and liked meeting him and hearing his views too.) But as consumers we all fall prey to news articles and hype on the net and in magazines on our hobby of sound reproduction. Other than a future format that does something beyond the Aragon gear I have now, I think... hopefully like the classic McIntosh stuff. I will own this 5- 10- 20 years from now and still be extremely happy with it too.

YMMV. << So true

----------------

On 9/29/2004 11:27:12 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

(Or in the case of Griff, what he can sell offer you no matter how noble his cause to bring you only the best in audio too.)

----------------

Ouch. I am duly scolded....

One thing I don't do, however, is trump up the equipment I sell beyond what I can confidently say about it. Note, I didn't venture a comparison to the Aragon, which indeed was quite an impressive specimen at Klipsch HQ. I'm looking forward to the possibility of me getting together with Steve Konopa and having a shootout between the Sherbourn and the B&K - just to see what happens - as well as a possible (remote) comparison between the Sherbourn and the Aragon at next year's get-together. I did a head-to-head between the Sherbourn and a Rotel, and the Rotel was just outclassed. That's the honest truth.

Not meant as a scold Griff.. You at least have principles.. I appreciate that.

But you gotta admit if you have product A + B.. And I also like C from what I have read or heard it is going to be hard to not have some bias to A and B, as you should have, if you can't get C. It is called human nature, and your paycheck.

At some point, too, were talking apples and different types of apples.. So the "flavour" or look or satisfaction is pretty close too. You may, in fact, like something better than The Aragon too. And thats "OK" as well.

Your safe with your comments on here. At least you have knowledge.

Were still friends, and I still have the highest respect for you and what you do on my end.

----------------

On 9/27/2004 11:39:56 PM jephdood wrote:

Are you saying the 3805 won't make a decent pre/pro? I just bought an Aragon 2007 and plan to use my 3803 for the time being as the processor. I'd like to pick up a Stage1 as well, but just don't have that extra few grand lying around.
3.gif
----------------

I used to use a 3801 as a pre with an Aragon 8008x3 driving the mains, center

Was a great combo.

Stepping up the the Stage One as my pre and going to the 2007 was a noticeable difference.

My system: 77 Klipschorns L&F, La Scala center(no date), RS-7 surrounds, RB-75 rear center. Sub? Klipsch prototype from mid 90's, never went into production.

As it turns out, I ran into another good deal for the Stage1, so I will be picking that up as well. I really can't wait to hear it paired up with the 2007. The Denon is on it's way to Audiogon/Ebay this weekend. 1.gif

I can't even think about RF-7's YET, but that'll be next I imagine.