bananna plugs?

palms1

IMO banana plugs are best for their convenience. As long as they have a reasonably tight fit they conduct signal fine. I've heard people say that they can hear the difference, but I have not been able to hear that. Locking down binding posts on bare wire makes for an excellent connection, it's just not as easy to switch out gear. I have found them (with big metal cases) to be a nuisance on the back of a HT receiver because they are too close together... to easy for them to contact each other.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 4:20:42 PM nicholtl wrote:

Even though bare wire touching the terminals is best, as banana plugs essentially add another layer between the signal chain, doesn't that also risk oxidation?

----------------

Only on the solder - gold plating on the connector will not oxidize. But, as you say, it's another solder joint in the signal path.

Suprizingly, lead (solder) has a rather low conductance quotient...

DM2.gif

I use them for convenience. They make connecting and disconnecting a breeze. Nothing I hate more than tightening and untightening those damn binding posts.

In terms of sound quality, they are no better or worse than bare speaker wire. Some are worse since most speaker cable is non-coaxial and the outer conductor is not grounded. Thus banana plugs with fancy, bulky metal connectors could act as pick-ups.

I use something similar to these. Notice the lack of exposed metal. These are great and cost pennies.

http://www.amabilidade2002.com/banana.htm

In terms of secure connections, I could care less. I'm not using my speaker wire as a bungee cord. As long as there is good contact, you should be fine. On a similar note, B-plugs that are non-screw types can be lifesavers if you've ever tripped or ran into one of you cables. Instead of pulling the attached gear, sometimes the wire will detach like a safety mechanism.