need advice on heresy+NAD

delano

Hello all,

Don't worry I am still getting tubes for MY Heresy's. This question is for a friend. He definitely does not want to go tubes but has a found a real good deal (MAYBE) for some NAD seperates for his Heresy's.

He has a chance at a NAD 2200 power amp with a NAD 1300 Pre Amp combo for about $650.00 Canadian. They are gently used and he would be purchasing them from a friend who we know has treated them very well.

My question to you guys is is this a good deal and also a good match for his Heresy's.

Thanks guys

Delano

$650 is still a lot of money to spend on amplification. There is a wide choice of products in the market that will sound just as good with the Heresy's for less money. However the cost is a matter for your friend. In relation to sound, I can't see why the NAD combo won't sound good with the Heresy's. NAD amps tend to be a little warm in tonal quality, so this certainly won't hurt the Heresy's.

" NAD amps tend to be a little warm in tonal quality"

A 2200 is an ear-burner, sounds bright with no real high end, very lean in the bass.

If you are not careful you can tear the voice coil clean off the cone with this amplifier, they clip at 360W at 8 ohms on sine waves. Music power is even higher.

The NAD 2200 is also known for its speaker relay problems.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 4:15:15 AM djk wrote:

A 2200 is an ear-burner, sounds bright with no real high end, very lean in the bass.

If you are not careful you can tear the voice coil clean off the cone with this amplifier, they clip at 360W at 8 ohms on sine waves. Music power is even higher.

The NAD 2200 is also known for its speaker relay problems.

----------------

Ouch! Thanks djk. Very good point. I didn't know this amplifier had this sort of power rating. I have had no direct personal experience with this particular model. My comment is a general one only. I have owned, however, several NAD's including the 3020, C320, and C270 power amp matched with an Audio Innovations tube preamplifier. My experience with the products I have owned is that they exhibit the general warm tonality I have descirbed.

Thank You all,

I kind of thought the same thing about that Power amp but my friend wanted a "second opinion". I reccomended to my freind that he was better off buying a brand new NAD 320bee integrated (50w a side). He could purchase it brand new for much less than the used stuff he was looking at and it comes highly rated by the poster Shock-late who described it with his La Scala's as "warm".

This amp has had some excellent reviews in Stereophile as well as other magazines and would have a full warranty.

Thanks

Delano