What do you think of this Klipsch/SVS combo?

Spanky

I was thinking on the weekend (I know a dangerous habit!) I was going to go for RB-25's all round in my system (3 pairs) but I would really love a set of floof standing speakers for my front mains.

I was looking at the local importers website for Klipsch products and came up with this combo, Tell me what you think please.

Front: RF-15 Floor standers

Rear Surrounds: RB-15 Book shelf speakers

Front and rear

Centre channels: RB-15 Book Shelf Speakers

And an SVS 20-39PCi Subwoofer

Now I know the Book shelf Centres are a little unusual but the room I am using was going to be a little wider but due to some structual requirements it has meant my room is loosing some width (About 2 foot) so my room will now be 11.4 feet wide by 21 feet long with a standard ceiling height, I don't play my systems at ear bleeding levels, In fact I find most movie theatres are to loud so detail is my priority.

This is purely for movies, No music or pay/cable TV but maybe the odd playstation 2 game might sneak in.

So, What do you think? All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

I think it will be a great sounding system. SVS subs provide great lows. As for them being an 'exact match', I don't really know that timbre matching has anything to do with buying a sub, since they won't be sharing any of the same frequency ranges. I say go for it.

Personally, I like the idea of the RB-25s better. Play them both w/o a sub and see how much difference you can REALLY hear. I suggest some kind of "blind" listening test if possible. The RB-25 has a 5" square horn and a 6.5" woofer while the RF-15 has a 5" square horn and two 5.25" woofers. The RF-15s are rated down to 46Hz while the RB-25s are rated down to 49Hz.

As for the sub: Timbre matching is not important for the sub. Just get the sub which will do the best job, in your price range. I have listened to the RWs and I have an SVS. It's very hard to beat SVS for the money.

John

----------------

On 10/8/2004 3:30:58 PM yromj wrote

As for the sub: Timbre matching is not important for the sub. Just get the sub which will do the best job, in your price range. I have listened to the RWs and I have an SVS. It's very hard to beat SVS for the money.

John

----------------

The crossover slopes are important though, they must match for correct timber match, as do the phase of the woofers at the listening position.

I like the RB-25s more than RF-15s. I listened to them running off the same Yamaha receiver without a sub and i thought that RB-25s were more detailed and even slightly richer in the midrange. I do not know the price of RF-15s, but if they are more expensive than RB-25s, then RB-25s are the obvious choice.

As for the subs, from what I understand, RW-series subs don't do the Reference series justice, and RSW subs are expensive. I like your choice of sub. A couple more than you might consider are the Outlaw LFM-1 and HSU VTF-2.

----------------

On 10/8/2004 6:11:38 PM radiob wrote:

The crossover slopes are important though, they must match for correct timber match, as do the phase of the woofers at the listening position.

----------------

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree w/ the first part of that statement. If you're using an LFE output to your sub, you should disable the cross-over by either switching it off, as in the case of my SVS, or setting it to its highest value, as in the case of my KSW-10.

The phase is infinitely adjustable on the subs we're discussing here. The phase will be dictated by placement and room interactions, not by sub type or brand.

John

I can't go an audition these speakers that is my problem, The dealer I am buying them from is 400Km's away, So I have to go off the advice of the members of this Forum, I must admit I prefer the way of going for the RB25's but, I suppose the question I should have asked is, would you go for the floorstanding RF15 in prefrence to the RB25?

Once again thanks for your input.

I have listened to both the RF-15s and the RB-25s and prefer the RB-25s. I don't like giving details to someone before they listen, because psycho-acoustics can dictate what you hear at the dealer. Why not audition them when you make the purchase? (I'm assuming you're going to the dealer, not mail ordering them.) Contact the dealer and tell him that you're going to buy one or the other and ask him to have both available for audition. That shouldn't be too much of a problem.

John

Good theory, But not an option I'm afraid, The nearest dealer is a large Electronics store and there Staff are happier to push a Kenwood or Sony Speaker rather than something of a little better Quality, So they carry very little in Stock, In fact ther staff have tried on every occasion I have contacted them to try and purchase something else (The Sony's are just as good! Not bloody likely!) and the nearest dealer after that is nearly 2000Km's away, So you can see my predicament!

I heard some Klipsch speakers about 6 months ago and fell in love with what I heard, Well, For a set of Bookshelf speakers anyway (I think they were RB25's) And to be honest I haven't heard something with that sort of quality or definition in another brand for the price.

And anything has to be better than my all Kenwood 21 series system surround sound system!

So thats why I'm asking for a little guidance on this occasion, I will say I prefer the RB-25's option, But I just thought the Floorstand option would be better even though they would be 5" speakers (Has to be 5" to keep within my Budget)

Ahh, It's all fun and games!1.gif