My new PB2-Ultra, mini review and pics....

Orange Peel

Just wanted to share with my Klipsch brothers as well. Here's my post from another board, and pics....

This thing is GORGEOUS!!!!! Man, pictures do these subs NO justice, the finish is SOOOO much better looking than the pics show. I was shocked at how nice it looks, I REALLY LOVE THIS SUB!!! I had a chance to do a little demoing, just a couple CD's, no movies.

First off, no calibration was done, I can't find my SPL meter right now with the move, I had to go to the storage unit and get all my other stuff (Receiver, speakers, DVD player, etc) just to listen to this beast

I put the gain at 1/4 and my receiver at -5.0 on the sub level, per the instruction manual. I had one port plugged, Subsonice filter at 20hz, crossover disabled, crossover on the receiver at 80hz, I also turned the PEQ to it's lowest setting to keep it from doing stuff, also per instructions. I set up a 2 channel rig with my Klipsch RF-7's, powered by my Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX (set in direct stereo mode), Denon DVD 1600 player connected via Optical cable.

Initial reaction to the PB12-Ultra/2.... AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I am floored by the sound it has, VERY tight, VERY clean, and VERY VERY powerful as far as I can tell (low volumes), it seems pretty accurate, I haven't measured my room responses yet, but I will soon. I didn't crank it very loud (-18 on receiver uncalibrated), as my newborn was there in the house too, but I did get it up enough to know that it just hits hard for music, plays everything perfectly! I CAN'T WAIT to hear some movies when I get my TV in there (Monday) and at MUCH louder volumes

At low volumes, say -35 on my receiver, it still displays great performance, it's MUCH better than my 3 20-39's for music (at all levels), I really was never impressed with the 3 20-39's for music, couldn't figure it out, just didn't seem to be there. I have a feeling the Ultra will be able to out perform my 3 20-39's in every way, it just seems that much better to me for some reason. I LOVE the cylinders don't get me wrong, maybe it's just the Ultra driver that makes it that much better than the 2 ISD's + 1 db12 that I had working together, don't know.

I know this review sucks, mostly just my opinion/view, and I will get it more accurate with a graph of the frequency responses, etc in the room. But as for my initial reaction/review, it's a KICK *** sub, I will NEVER get rid of it, and it's worth EVERY DAMN penny of that $1799, hell, even 2 or 3 times as much, it's just killer!

With it sitting next to my Klipsch RF-7's, it DWARFS those RF-7's, unbelievable , it's BIG, not as big as I was expecting, but BIG!

I know you all that are waiting for yours will NOT, I repeat, NO WAY be dissapointed with this PB12-Ultra/2 (new name for Ron ). Man I want to go listen to it some more, but gotta go to sleep, moving all that equipment (EVERYTHING WAS HEAVY!!!!), really wore me out.

Here's a few pics of the "temporary setup", forgive the mess and crap, just showing it off for now...

ultrarf7s.jpg

ultrarf7s2.jpg

ultrarf7s3.jpg

Here's some misc. pics of a couple areas of the new house, again, a mess, I'm normally a VERY tidey person :) We aren't done painting, moving in, etc, etc. I can't wait to be done and watch my first movie in the new place with the Ultra. I did more listening today while working on the house, it just keeps amazing me more and more, just absolutely perfect in every way, bass at low volumes and at high, it just never stops doing its job :) Let me know what you think of the temp pics...

Bedroom Entry

Den

Kitchen

Hey hey hey, sweet pad you got there, Scott. And some mighty fine gear too. Is it all new, or did you just keep all the boxes, you packrat, you. Dude, never realized how rad the RF7's look in all ebony black. Mine are cherry, but damn, black look's fricking good too. And you're making me wanna get an ultra now too...

Meuge - Yeah the Ultra is BIG, but it's soooooo sexy 9.gif

nicholtl - Thanks dude, only the SVS is new, I have had the other stuff for a while, I just like to keep the original boxes for moving or selling. 1.gif I think the black is ok, kind of cheap looking to me, I REALLY REALLY want the Maple RF-7/RC-7/RF-5 setup, it would work PERFECTLY in my new house, my old house was better for the black that I have now, but black goes with everything so I am still ok with these 3.gif

"With it sitting next to my Klipsch RF-7's, it DWARFS those RF-7's, unbelievable , it's BIG, not as big as I was expecting, but BIG"

That was almost my same reaction when I got the PB2+ a month ago (Now I wish I could have waited the extra month for the Ultra). The only difference was that I was expecting big but not that BIG.

Congratulations on the new purchase. I'm looking forward to hearing more about its performace.

----------------

On 10/8/2004 4:02:49 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, I actually was expecting it to be larger than it was, but it's still BIG!
9.gif

----------------

I don't know what I was expecting exactly but it seems absolutely huge to me. That's about the best pic I've ever seen of one especially in relation to the size of the RF-7.

I almost ordered the PB2-ISD back when it first came out at $899. Man I would have been flabbergasted when it arrived. I'm leaning toward the PC-Ultra now.

Thanks for the great pics Scott.1.gif

CONGRATS,great sub you have here.Yes people realise how big BIG subs are when they unpack these beasts.Also a large space you have to fill with bass,one PB2-Ultra is the minimum I would use...ok maybe two 2.gif

Your kitchen alone is larger than my smaller audio room!

Now set the beast up and make it work,pipe organ style.recordings of large pipe organs are what these large subs reproduce best. 1.gif

Again,great buy

----------------

On 10/8/2004 7:23:01 PM TheEAR wrote:

CONGRATS,great sub you have here.Yes people realise how big BIG subs are when they unpack these beasts.Also a large space you have to fill with bass,one PB2-Ultra is the minimum I would use...ok maybe two
2.gif

Your kitchen alone is larger than my smaller audio room!

Now set the beast up and make it work,pipe organ style.recordings of large pipe organs are what these large subs reproduce best.
1.gif

Again,great buy

----------------

Really Ear?

I always thought one should go for banjo-style pipe-organ recordings :)~

(Hehehe)

Well I think I am going to leave it where I have it, 1 port blocked with 20hz ss filter. I LOVE deep bass, but don't want to lose all the top end grunt, so I will do some sweeps (when I get it all setup), and see how it performs, then set it up in the 25hz mode, and see how it does for the low end, people really seem to like the 25hz mode, so we'll see.

All I know is that I can't get enough of it, everytime I listen to it, it gets better and I smile bigger and bigger, pretty much have no face left now 9.gif