Cornwalls with different woofers

RichardP

I just got a pair of 1980 Cornwalls from Ebay auction at a good price. You may recall them, they are dark-stained birch and have black glass tops, one with a cracked corner. The seller stated that they had two different woofers, but did not know the origin. Apparently one or both are replacements. They are: 1) K-33-B (no, not P) with square magnet, looks old; and 2) K-33, no suffix, but looks just like new K-33-E sold by Bob Crites (black basket, round magnet), and has "vendor 1890" among other #s on label on edge of magnet. Were either of these original? Does anyone know of any differences in the specs of these two woofers which might make for unbalanced or uneven sound? BTW, I have had Bob Crites replace tweeter diaphragms and rebuild X-overs.

2nd question: I would like to replace the old style screw head speaker wire connectors with banana jacks or 5-way posts. Are there any such connectors which would not involve cutting a large hole in the back panel? Any other connector recommendations, where to buy, etc.?

Thanks.

I think these might be the ones Bob and myself were emailing back and forth about early in the week.

There is no such thing as a K-33-B, and my contention is that 'B' means 'Bad'. Replacement drivers are often marked K-33-R. I suspect the driver isn't actual 'bad', but is probably slightly out of spec. Most try to match drivers up to within 1 or 2db of one another, and it might be that this driver just missed the passing mark. I'm only guessing here, but I do know other manufacturers use the 'B' stamp in this way -- so the driver doesn't get inadvertantly used.

New K-33s are really inexpensive as far as drivers go, and you could get a new near matched set for around $275 shipped. I mean, not cheap -- but at least it will be right.

I did mention to Bob that if the driver works, it's very possible your ears might never be able to pick up the difference (room acoustics).

Sorry about your luck Richard -- but it happens to all of us sooner or later.

In searching this forum, I reviewed every thread with K-33 in the title, and under a thread entitled "K-33-P" someone posted this:

"What, if any, differences would there be in putting a newer K-33-E into a pair of older Klipschorns (which have K-33-Bs)."

While this is the only mention of such a model #, it suggests that there was a K-33-B, unless it was a typo. Could someone (moderator) from the company comment on whether such a thing ever existed? In any case, mine sounds just fine; I was only wondering about its origin and if it was supposed to sound identical to the more recent models.

Can someone comment on the other K-33 "no suffix" model I described? Specifically, is it likely to have been original, or does it seem to be a replacement as well? The seller thought that it was the replacement, rather than the older-appearing "K-33-B." As stated in my original post, I am not sure if either woofer is original.

Dean is wrong. There was a K33-B woofer and it not "bad" (or any worse than any other K33). It is a bone stock Klipsch issue woofer found in big Klipsch from the mid 70's. The K33-B is just a standard K33. It was made by Eminence and has a square magnet. It usually sports the smaller, domed, vented voice coil dust cover. My brother's bone stock, all original Cornwalls are equipped with K33-B's, which again, is just a square magnet 15" Eminence made stock Klipsch woofer. The stock woofers in my 1977 Cornwalls are absolutely identical to his, but are designated as "K33" in big green letters on the magnet (no cool round medallion like my brother's have). Both of our woofers are absolutely 100% original and function beautifully.

Here is the real answer

"B" stands for Brownsville TX, the second location for CTS.

"P" would have been the Paducah, KY CTS location.

CTS and Eminence were both used simultaneously for a time.

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Concerning the binding posts.

Do a google search and look at just the posts.

There are several speaker parts suppliers that have just the posts and you could drill the small holes out a bit and install them. No need to replace them with a input panel

We did this here to my Cornwalls, 1981's.

Huzzah! Answers! Thanks for all who helped. I was beginning to think that the "B" in the unclaimed "K-33B" stood for B-astard.

Now, if anyone could comment on the other woofer, the "K-33" with no letter, but looks like the current K-33-E; do you think it was original in these '80 Corns or was also a replacement?2.gif

I would say that the 1980 Cornwall had the K-33 with the square magnet and the round magnet one is a replacement. I also think that the K-33B and J were used primarily in the 70's sometime and it seems odd to have one in a 1980 but perhaps they were still using the B & J versions at the time and the round magnet E did not come until sometime later.