best amp for Klipsch speakers?

probillygun

No need to move it. There is no correct answer to your question, whether here or in two-channel.

It's all going to hinge on your ears.

If you're going stereo, 99% of Klipsch owners will tell you tubes, but they'll be split down the middle as to low-watt SE or high-watt Push-Pull. Brand? Forget it - you'll never get a sure answer.

If you're planning multi-channel home theater, you'll still get a 50/50 response - tubes versus extremely high-power (150wpc or more) solid state.

Basically, it's going to hinge on your personal tastes.

Are you willing to take the plunge? Read up on what people dig and don't dig in this forum or the 2-channel forum. Take some risks, buy some gear, listen to it. If it doesn't suit you, move on to the next piece.

Finding the perfect amp to mate with YOUR Klipsch, in YOUR room, to YOUR ears, isn't a simple yes/no answer, it's a journey. If you're ready to embark on that journey, you'll find plenty of help and encouragement here.

----------------

On 10/14/2004 10:11:21 PM probillygun wrote:

I'm using an adcom 555 II on my KLF-30's and was wondering if there was a better choice......

----------------

By better do you mean more expensive? In that case the answer is yes. But the Adcom is okay. You're going to have to spend a fair bit more money to 'improve'. Do you have a hankering for tubes? Try the Jolida range like the JD-202B. A very nice tube starter amp that will drive your KLF-30's very well. A good used one won't cost much. You might be able to keep the Adcom as well and do a comparison. See what you like the most.

----------------

On 10/15/2004 10:22:22 AM probillygun wrote:

ummmmmm I was just considering Solid State designs.

Some people have told me my Adcom is a little bright for my Klipschs. and to try an old Yamaha...

Soooo, what solid state amp is "Soft" for my speakers? I guess is what I'm asking.

----------------

I'm "test-driving" a Yamaha RX-V2400 (digital) right now on my system and it is not "bright". Neither is it an old Yammie, being current production. Not sure I'm in love with it yet, but I haven't put it through my entire music library. It is very capable, though, and for not a lot of money!

Someone once said the worst thing about SS Amps is the capacitors used in them. A couple of years ago I upgraded a whole bunch of capacitors in my Marantz 2220b receiver that didn't sound quite right and the improvement was dramatic, and not just to me. For instance, since modern film caps are quite small now, you can swap out a lot of 1-10uf electrolytics for film.

If you're willing and able, a carefully considered and executed capacitor upgrade to your Adcom might rid it of it's harshness. If there is an Adcom forum, someone has probably already tried it.

The old Marantz receivers are smooth with Klipsch as-is. There is also a near cult following here on the forum for the old Harmon-Kardon twin power receivers. Neither of the above solutions should break the bank.

Check out the latest digital amps. Many rave about the (believe it or not) Panasonic HT receiver line that employs digital amps based on the Tripath circuit. Carver Pro also has a line of digital amps. I'm test driving the Carver Pro ZR 1600 right now, and I've never heard a better solid sate amp.

What exactly do you like and don't like about your present setup?

Yes there better amps and yes there are worse amps than you have.

When you say "Soft" is there something else you aren't mentioning?

I don't know how long you have had your present system, but for about the first 8 months when I bought my KLF20's and Denon system I would have done anything to get a "soft" system. I could not listen to my system more than 30 minutes before I had to turn it off because my ears hurt so bad. Not from volume, but the unsoft sound.

Danny

If you wanted to stick to solid state, which is okay, perhaps you could consider the Creek range of integrated amplifiers. Almost tube like in it's sound, the Creek A50i is a superb amplifier that matches very well with any Klipsch loudspeaker. Years ago I had an Adcom integrated running my KG5.5's. Back then the Adcom was the only solid state integrated I could find that sounded okay. I later replaced it with a Creek 4040 which was a step up sound quality wise on the Adcom. The Creek A50i is a great amp. It would be nice if Aragon could offer a competing product.