Klipsch epic cf3's and my tube amp

Shiva

Greetings all,

been reading all your posts for awhile now which created a desire to go Klipsch. I now have a klf c-7 center and the mighty Klipsch Epic cf3's which I find very impressive. My problem though is when I hook up my 30 watt integrated tube amp (Antique sound Labs Aq1003Dt), the bass is just too boomy with this speaker. Is it the quality of the tube amp that is the problem. Or could it be this amp has to much power for this speaker with its 100db sensitivity.

My 200 watt rotel has great control on the epics and they sound fantastic together so I won't miss the tube amp if I have to let it go

but would appreciate any imput.

Thanks,

Shiva

To get the kind of control and slam you're looking for from a tube amp, you need to up the ante -- it's not going to happen with a 30 watt integrated. You'll need to go to push-pull monoblocks using the KT-88 output tube, with at least 50 or 60 watts.

If you like the sound of Rotel gear on the CF-3s -- just dump the ASL integrated.

I doubt it's really a question of Watts, but rather damping, or output impedance. You might try the 4 Ohm output from the tube amp. Otherwise, there may just be issues with the amp itself. A good tube amp, regardless of its power, connected so that its output impedance is low, should be fine with the speakers. The low output impedance of the ss amp is almost certainly responsible for the improvement you hear, not raw power.

As for power, that's a function of your listening levels

However, higher power amps are more likely to have lower output impedances. Unfortunately, they're also more likely to have more distortion and noise at low powers that will cause them to sound harsh (well controlled harsh, but still harsh). The 60W amps, tube or ss, that Dean refers to are not your average 60W amps.

Leo

Thanks for your responses. The reason I considered 30 watts to much power is from reading the posts of people using very low wattage tube amps to drive their cornwalls or K-horns and others. do these 3.5 or 5 watt tube amps offer the control and damping abilities needed for the bass on these speakers.

Where are you speakers? Are they close to the wall? If so, that may be one of your problems.

There is a lot on the web to help with speaker placement. Just do a search on "speaker placement." One is www.stereo-speaker-buyers-guide.com. "Boomy" is a different problem than "tubby, dull, etc." Before you give up on your equipment and potentially spin your wheels and overspend buying new equipment, get the most out of what you presently have.

I have a RCA SE 6BQ5 amp strapped in triode.

Granted, the little amp barely eeks out 2 watts max throwing it off a cliff, but the damn thing with those tone pots has some bass.

Not gut wrenching, bowel moving inducement bass of course.

But it's not bad bass for the age of the amp, power and parts involved. It's not sloppy or soft, IMO.

I was playing 2 live crew yesterday,(bass test CD)and the little amp hit all the bass notes no problem without the aid of subwoofers.

My little Magnavox SE 6BQ5 amp won't get down to those bass notes, it rolls off before then. Hence the aid of subwoofers when listening to bass beats. But the Magnavox top-end is way more extended than the RCA, a tastier top end I suppose.

The RCA SE 6BQ5 had bass even when it was in pentode mode, strapping the amp improved the sound quite a bit along with the OPT swap.

It's a weird amp.

EDIT: Plus I live in a small place.