How high is too high

mca_bagom

Hello again,

I just placed my Center channel (RC-7) about 12 feet above my TV. The living room had a built in shelf in the corner of the room. The TV stand is too small to fit the RC-7 and there is noway to place the speaker on top of the TV (Panasonic DLP). Is this too high? I does not quite sound right after I hooked it up with the receiver (3803).

you need it as close as you can get to center of screen...and then pointed either up or down towards normal listener position ears....

If not the voices will not sound like they are coming from people's mouths when they talk on the screen....

Check out TV wall brackets to hold speaker above TV

----------------

On 10/20/2004 1:08:47 PM mca_bagom wrote:

Hello again,

I just placed my Center channel (RC-7) about 12 feet above my TV. The living room had a built in shelf in the corner of the room. The TV stand is too small to fit the RC-7 and there is noway to place the speaker on top of the TV (Panasonic DLP). Is this too high? I does not quite sound right after I hooked it up with the receiver (3803).

----------------

Mine is placed up fairly high as well, but around 6 feet up, on top of my wall-unit, since none of the shelves were big enough to accomidate it.

However, I did use a laser pointer to help aim the speaker down into my listening position, and the result came out quite well. The dialogue does seem to come from the screen instead of way up near the ceiling.

If you just cannot find a more suitable way to mount your RC-7, i.e. a floor stand underneath the TV screen as suggested above, that little trick just may help. It certainly will not hurt to at least try it your way to see how it works out.

Also to add:

Isn't there some kind of special shelf you could mount over the TV and then place the speaker on that? I thought I remember seeing something on one of those HT furniture sites - Sanus?

Just made a quick search on the internet....

Take a look at something like this. This is from the Sanus website. These are "TV-top shelfs". Will something like that work for you, so you don't have to mount your center so high up?

Unfortunately, the top of the Panasonic is only about 3 in thick. Due to this I have to place the cable box and other A/V gear under the tv stand and a small AV rack. The matching TV stand will not support the weight of the RC-7. I hate to place the RC-7 on the A/V rack on the side. I did notice that the RC-7 came with two big screws. Are these used to mount directly to the wall?

----------------

On 10/20/2004 6:19:01 PM mca_bagom wrote:

.....I did notice that the RC-7 came with two big screws. Are these used to mount directly to the wall?

----------------

not exactly (but i guess you can if you screw it to a couple of "L" brackets)...they are used to tilt the rc7 downwards towards the listening position....if you dont want to use the screws...take them out and plug the existing holes with the "sticky feet" that are also included...

----------------

On 10/20/2004 6:19:01 PM mca_bagom wrote:

Unfortunately, the top of the Panasonic is only about 3 in thick. Due to this I have to place the cable box and other A/V gear under the tv stand and a small AV rack. The matching TV stand will not support the weight of the RC-7. I hate to place the RC-7 on the A/V rack on the side. I did notice that the RC-7 came with two big screws. Are these used to mount directly to the wall?

----------------

I guess another option you can use is to wall-mount a shelf over the TV and place the RC-7 on there. The long screws, as was already mentioned above, is used to tilt the speaker down towards the listening position.

That is what I did with my rear-center speaker, which is an RC-7, as pictured below:

ssk-sys-rear.jpg

As you can see, I made sure that SOB was well braced, as I did not what that sucker come crashing down on my head while sitting on that couch! 6.gif