KMFDM... tour 2004..

formica

Anyone into KMFDM?

It's been a busy week with for concerts with Ministry (see previous post) who were in town Sunday night and now KMFDM on Tuesday night. Work has also been insane, but that's another subject... 2.gif

KMFDM played a newly reopened "old theatre" called LaTulipe in Montreal which apparently fits about 1100 people but is definitely much smaller than the venue Ministry played at (which lists at 1250 people??). I guess they have a pretty good local following as they had to add a second night to their Montreal show. I've known KMFDM's music for many years and have about 6 of their albums... but that only represents about 1/3 of the discography.

Their latest album is called WWIII (World War III) and, like many other groups, also criticizes Bush but from a different perspective probably due to their European origins. Although less political live than Ministry (with their bush A$$ whooping), it still goes to show how controversy can spawn creativity.

On stage, they consisted of the two lead singers (Sascha and the girl), a lead guitar, a rhythm guitar, and a drummer. Given this combo, their live presentation was slighty "heavier" than that found on their albums... but similar at the same time. Sascha has got a great presence on stage.

As already posted, the opening band was DJ?-AcuCrack which impressed me with their drill-&-bass... enough for me to buy their album. Fast but heavier than your typical Drum&Bass, and similar to Technical-Itch and Dom-and-Roland. The crowd's reaction was quite mixed given some of KMFDM fans are more electronica oriented while others are definitely metal heads. So stylistically it was an unusual opening band for an industrial group.

Sound quality was incredible throughout both presentations. I'm sure KMFDM surpassed the 125db during several tracks esp the closing number. I did prefer the album's sound balance though, as the vocals were a little too forward for my taste on their live presentation especially when the female singer put her lungs into it. AcuCrack's mix was better and the heavy bass track made the whole place vibrate... 4.gif9.gif

Overall, another two thumbs up.

Rob

I like them as well. I have only 1 of their CD's plus several electronic compilation albums with them. I like bands who can do electronic well, have it sound industrial - not synth pop. They do. Is it the original members, a couple of years ago they were touring as MDFMK, as they didn't have all their members. My brother saw them, and said it was a poor show because they weren't cohesive...almost like the programming wasn't done right or they hadn't rehearsed. It sounds like they've gotten their act together again. GOod to here.

I've been a KMFDM fan since forever and I wish they would have been closer to where I am. (Maybe I can catch the chicago show)

If you don't have it, their DVD "beatbybeatbybeat" is worth owning for the videos and concert footage.

By the way you describe the opening act, maybe you should check out the Minneapolis group "Savage Aural Hotbed"...