Has my browser been hijacked?

Joe Shmoe

For some reason, when I use the back button or just moving around on this site or others, A seperate window opens and it's appears to be a MSN search engine. I can easily exit out of it but it does get pretty annoying. Any tips on getting rid of this? I tried looking into tools/internet options/programs/manage add ons... but didn't see anything in there related to the MSN thing?

You probably have spyware on your PC. Download and install SpyBot Search and Destroy (http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html).

If you are running Windows XP, download and install Service Pack 2. Service Pack 2 includes a popup blocker for IE6. Otherwise get a popup blocker such as BPS popup blocker (http://www.bulletproofsoft.com).

Do the spyblocker thing first.

Hey, for best results, run AdAware and SpyBot and then get SpyWare Blaster to keep it from coming back, but best of all, switch to FireFox. It is ligher, faster, cleaner, more reliable, safer and just overall better than Internet Explorer... plus you cut your chances of pop-ups and adware! www.mozilla.com

I third the firefox suggestion. I get maybe 2 popups a month now... if even that. I even uninstalled my old trusty popup killer because it no longer is needed and was only taking up memory.

For me however, the speed of firefox is not much superior to that of IE. I don't know if its just my computer... but the initial loading of firefox takes a good 6-7 seconds... but after that it isnt an issue.

Hey, thanks for the great response. I already had AdAwareSE, and I went and downloaded & ran the Spybot program. Both programs seemed to come up with stuff and fix them. However I still am getting the same problem. I have heard about the other options for browsers.... is it pretty simple to get rid of Internet Explorer, and install a new browser such as firefox you all have suggested? Being me and my wife have different desktops etc... would I have to do this twice (once on mine, and once on hers) or would just installing it once make it the default for both?

Thanks again...

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, when you say that you and your wife have different desktops do you mean that you login under a different name/account but onto the same computer?

if that is the case than you won't have to install firefox twice.

by the way, don't worry about removing Internet Explorer. It is integrated into Windows and way too much trouble to remove. Just don't use it anymore except when doing windows updates, you still need it for that.

anyway, head over to www.mozilla.org and download firefox from there.

• 5 weeks later...

What about just using google as a searcher? Since I have done that I don't think I ever got a pop up. I set google as my main search engine. It really helps with slow diul up. I don't have to wait for msn to download all the media crap. Also with the new service pack 2 windows updated to date it automatically blocks all pop ups. I've downloaded so many updates I think I am running out of computer space from it. I notice if I have two media players say like windows and quicktime or winamp. My computer will run slower. It seems that way. So I just stick with windows media 10. Stay away from pc doctor. I downloaded a free trial version, and I got popups when I was looking at emails. I never seen such a thing !! Not junk mail I mean popups when viewing your inbox. Crazy!!! Also I seen popups or I think they were banners when my screensaver was running. I emailed them and told them that it was against the law and they finially told me how to disable it.