Product Identification and Price List

WMcD

There are sometimes questions about product identification. Recently about Heresy designer models. But we have others too.

I'm posting an old flyer from Klipsch which will be of assistance.

Perhaps someone with info on the consumer price index will compute what present prices could be.

Gil

PS and Edit. Sorry for bad spelling in the title. Now corrected.

Should we petition the Webmaster for some upload space for old literature? I could scan some Dope From Hope. Others could make contributions.

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-02-2001 at 09:55 PM

Stocks aside, if you bought Klipschorns at these prices in 1974, used them for over a quarter of a century and then sold them on ebay for close to what you paid for them, I'd call that one hell of an investment. Where else could you obtain so much pleasure and enjoyment for so little? How many other consumer products could you find that would produce anywhere near so great a return on investment?

HT-1

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever source software selects)

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

HT#2

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Outlaw 750 5 channel Amp

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (4 channels of supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

SoundDog---Old Altec and JBL horn loudspeakers were an even better investment, I've been offered $1200 for my Altec 605A drivers which sold for a couple of hundred each in the 1960s. JBL L-300s, a 15" 3-way mechanically similar to a Cornwall, seem to sell for over $2000 and as high as $3000. Just a pair of old Altec or JBL 1" compression drivers will fetch $300 and up. I've seen gray cabinet VOTs go for 2 grand. And the JBL Paragon or Hartsfield, well you'd better get a second mortgage if you want those. I think certain older Klipsches will go up in value as the company courts the mass market. I'd be looking for Khorns, LaScalas, Belles or Cornwalls from the 1970s with Alnico Atlases and T-35s. The designs had stabilized by then and quality and PWK's actual involvement were at a very high level. And of course they sound REALLY good. I think that when I go back to work I'll start looking for some nice Belles. :-)

Ray & Tom-

The Heritage system is in a basement room I built for a HT. It is 12x24 and just contains the speakers, the monitor and a sofa. The electronics are in a seperate room. I have done a lot of experimentation with the placement of the LaScalas as surrounds and ended up with them stacked just to the rear of the sweet spot where the sofa is placed (about mid room) the upper ones are angled inward and the bottom ones (rears) fire towards the back room. I have done a lot of experimentig with absorption and diffusion wall treatments as well as with bass traps. I think I have it pretty well optimized. The next step is the Perpetual Tech speaker and room correction software - the former did wonders for $18,000 Martin-Logans at the NYC Home Entertainment Show.

Woops Tom I forgot about your very interesting value comparisons .... I think the Heritage speakers since they have remained in production until recently may not go up in value as much as rarer therefore in more limited supply old JBLs ...should be interesting to see what happens now that certain speaker components for the Heritage series are no longer in production ... I just bought a pair of NOS K-35 Tweeters so that I can attempt to replace the diaphrams in the old ones without fear of being without if I mess up. Little nervious about it so I'm working up to it ....the new tweeters are definatly better than same models that they replace kinda confirming that especially in one tweeter something is wrong and I think its the diaphram. I have also obtained but not yet received replacement drivers for the mid horns.

Heresys - Brich - Raw 1974 price = $248 (ea?) according to your price list.

I bought mine in the summer of 1981 for $330 each if memory serves me right. Today the "standard finishes" are $1098/pr (598 each). Averages out to just over $100 price increase per decade (or about ten bucks a year).

Does anyone know if that $248 was for a pair or for one?

"Does anyone know if that $248 was for a pair or for one?" That was for one without grill.Raw plywood.A pair of oak Klipschorns were $2882.And the dealer margin was much less than it is today too.To put things in perspective you could buy a Pontiac Firebird all decked out in 1973 for $3295.

Wavey.gif Soundog, here's an appreciative standing wave to the one who has proven he can handle them! Congratulations on the state of optimization of your HT-1... that's quite an accomplishment for a 12'x24' basement room. How high is the ceiling?

How about starting a new Odds and Mods thread with a sketch of your HT-1 layout and some of your adventures with "absorption and diffusion wall treatments as well as with bass traps"... it sounds exciting to find a real winner in the seemingly perpetual room acoustics wrestling match.

I know there is something worth reading when I see the soundog tag on a Klipsch Forum index line. Thanks for being there. Cool.gif HornEd

Thanks, I find your posts interesting and informative also ...I've learned so much from this BB ....it has brought back the early excitement I had as a teenager with Hi-Fi in the 50s. Actually the basement room isn't exactly 12 X 24 due to covering pipes etc. Likewise the ceiling is not uniform due to a duct running through the center which does have the benefit of bringing heat and a/c. The ceiling is mostly 6'10". If my reading of room acoustics is correct, the fact that the dimensions are not exact multiples is a plus in preventing standing waves. ( My living room HT is 12 X 24 X 8 and the standing wave problem was acute - due to asthetics I have been limited to the corner wedges and moving the subs around. I use it now for movies and the basement system for music or music oriented DVDs or tv shows. Standing waves caused by car crashes, Godzilla, or explosions are more acceptable than while listening to music). I bought corner "wedges" from parts express as well as some other acoustical material. Made some cylendrical bass traps from a link I got off of this site. Likewise I read somewhere that egg crates as well as bookshelves stocked with varing size books made for good sound diffusers. They do ...I've stappled the egg crates to plywood boards ... I plan to spray paint them silver ...my hope is that I can make them look like a piece of modern art rather than egg crates ...if this doesn't work I'll have to spring for the highly overpriced versions ...the egg crates work ...they just look like egg crates. Difusion breaks up wall reflections making it difficult for the ear to know that walls are there ...leaving, hopefully, an effect that is more like the accoustics of the original venue. I did a lot of reading and experimenting and I really like the results sonically if not altogether esthetically. I'm yet to get into digital cameras, scanners etc. so I cann't as yet post pictures or diagrams. I hope to get to that soon. Thanks for your interest.