Subwoofers with Heritage?

jheis

I'm using Cornwalls for my front channels and two pair of Heresys for surround and rear channels. Since the Cornwalls have 15" woofers and the Heresys have 12" woofers, is there anything to be gained with - or any need for - a suboofer? I think it would probably take a pretty hefty subwoofer to beat the bass response of the Cornwalls.

James

" or any need for - a suboofer?"

For home theater probably. The LFE channel on DD/DTS runs 10dB hotter then the rest of your channels and some movies go *deep*.

Reducing the deep/loud bass that from the rest of your speakers and sending it to a sub(s) will make them play cleaner with lower distortion.

Shawn

I think it would probably take a pretty hefty subwoofer to beat the bass response of the Cornwalls.

It's surprising what a sub can do.

Play "Finding Nemo" chapter 25 where the little girl Darla taps the aquarium. Does your house shake?

Play The Eagles "hell Freezes Over" DVD in DTS. Does the kick drum hit you in the chest?

Cornwall I's do 38Hz-20kHz±5dB, which is a bit lower than my La Scala's 45 Hz but it's still high compared to a sub. There's lot of sound below 40 Hz in movie track (and even on more music). I added a Hsu STF-3 sub (-2 dB at 25 Hz) to my system and it really adds depth to 2-channel music. As far as movies, it's a new experience altogether. I set my fronts to Large on the receiver so they get the full frequency spectrum, set my sub to crossover to 80 Hz and send all materiel below 80 Hz to both the fronts and the sub (LFE + L/R). Sounds great to me.

the cornwalls have a much deeper bass response than the lascallaor better said the corns present bass with much more authority, punch. i had a set that made it feel like someone was litterally punching me, or pushing me in those low sequences, i cant use a sub because of the lower freqs,and living in an townhome the lfe travels through the floor, and i had the same problems with my cornwalls, did my house tremble? windows rattle? yes and more, so if you are good with the low end with your cornwalls call it good, you really arent missing much, i also find that using a sub in many circumstances overemphasises the lfe, sounding unnatural, to each thier own

----------------

On 10/23/2004 8:35:13 PM DillonW wrote:

To truly experience HT at its best, a subwoofer is a must. If you've never had one, you just don't know what your missing. If you love action movies, a good sub will take the movie experience to a whole new level!

----------------

Damn right,no HT is is complete without a serious subwoofer...or a few.

1.gif

And even for those who value music much more than HT,a solid foundation will bring the whole performance oh so closer home.

To answer the original question,neither the Corwall or any Klipsch speakers are true full range.You will need a subwoofer to extend the response down.I would cut the Corwall at 50Hz and let the subwoofer(s) take over from there.The speakers do not have to sweat to reproduce the deepest bass ...they cannot reproduce anyway.Let your speakers what they do best,you can have speakers with 6" woofers that are far more capable in the deep bass than even the mighty K-Horn(Totem's Mani Two is one example)!

This is why a solid sub is a must,minimum I would look at the RSW15,or get a pair of the new Klipsch THX subs with the matching amp.

I asked the question because I don't know.

As I understand it a sub woofer, by definition produces subsonic sound, i.e. lower frequency sound than the human ear can hear. I'm mainly interested in music (which to me does not include the Eagles) So, if all we are talking about is vibration, I can live without it.

James

James,

"As I understand it a sub woofer, by definition produces subsonic sound, i.e. lower frequency sound than the human ear can hear."

No, a sub woofer handles the area below what your woofer can handle. You typically cross the sub over to your mains. In effect making your three way speakers four way. Reducing the load of your woofers makes their job easier and makes them cleaner.

Some DVDs have bass down into the single digit areas. Very few subwoofers can handle this let alone main channel speakers.

Shawn

To pile on...there are deep passages in some composer's music that I would have totally missed without a sub, and that's with both my Forte and Chorus speakers. For example, Enya in her "Storms" (?) composition has a terrific deep-base track in it that is barely glanced at by my speakers, yet comes to life with my sub.

As I understand it a sub woofer, by definition produces subsonic sound, i.e. lower frequency sound than the human ear can hear.

No, that's wrong. You can hear 20 to 40 Hz.

I'm mainly interested in music (which to me does not include the Eagles) So, if all we are talking about is vibration, I can live without it.

Okay, church organs then. Or Jazz from Holly Cole. There's lot of music with low frequency content. Don't be a snob about it.

i also run a cornwall/ heresy combo and did several in home demos with all kinds of subs.

all of the powered subs that were out when i bought my sw15 yamaha pro subs paled in comparison to the cornwalls.

now we have the svs subs ect that would be a good match for the cornwalls and be able to keep up

with my system (in a concrete basement) i cross to the subs at 60 hz and it takes the strian off the cornwalls at high db levels

when listening to music. movie soundtracks get crossed at 80 hz

jay

I, too run Cornwalls as mains in HT setup and just use a little KSW12, which seems to do a fine job. With my old pro-logic Yamaha RXV850, didn't seem to put out much line out to sub, but now with 2400, it REALLY KICKS for an inexpensive sub. A definite must for serious HT, but I think the 'effect' can get a little tiresome with 2ch listening.

Question: Is it just Yamaha, or do other HT receivers put out vastly varying amounts of sub send in different surround modes?? With certain movie modes, the sub gets so much voltage that when I turn the system up to HT levels, I think the KSW12 is in danger of blowing up and have to check cone excursion and turn it down a bit.

Michael