RW 8 or another brand

RM1111

The PB10 costs more than the RW8,as anyone can deal and make the dealer sell for less than retail.

I never,ever will pay retail...on anything.So the RW8 can be had for less,the PB10 sells for $399 and not less.

In the RW8 price range there is not much that can compete,besides the HSU STF1.

I have not heard the RW-8 in true listening environment, however I'm guessing its output is nearly on par with the Klipsch SWS which simply blew my mind for the size of the sub. Even after owning a SVS, The Klipsch SWS was more impressive for its value/size and performance. I'm guessing the RW-8 is very similar with even tighter control and less THD, however its a bit more money than the SWS.

I would say the HSU STF-1 or Klipsch RW-8. Either will be good. The build quality of the RW subs indeed, is very nice. The PB10, as theear said, is in another class and the price should reflect that. I have seen the RW-8 as low as 175 dollars at Good Guys. It's low end street price is around 230 dollars, which is a full 200 less than the 430 dollars PB10-ISD. However, if you can afford the pb10 and form what I have read about it, it will be the best 400 dollar subwoofer you can buy over both the RW-10 and STF-2 besides all other 400 dollar subwoofers.

----------------

On 10/24/2004 10:16:53 PM 007 wrote:

I have not heard the RW-8 in true listening environment, however I'm guessing its output is nearly on par with the Klipsch SWS which simply blew my mind for the size of the sub. Even after owning a SVS, The Klipsch SWS was more impressive for its value/size and performance. I'm guessing the RW-8 is very similar with even tighter control and less THD, however its a bit more money than the SWS.

I would say the HSU STF-1 or Klipsch RW-8. Either will be good. The build quality of the RW subs indeed, is very nice. The PB10, as theear said, is in another class and the price should reflect that. I have seen the RW-8 as low as 175 dollars at Good Guys. It's low end street price is around 230 dollars, which is a full 200 less than the 430 dollars PB10-ISD. However, if you can afford the pb10 and form what I have read about it, it will be the best 400 dollar subwoofer you can buy over both the RW-10 and STF-2 besides all other 400 dollar subwoofers.

----------------

How about the RW10 compared to the PB10-ISD. Aren't they about the same price? I'm still toying with the idea of getting a smallish sub for my khorn system.

A smallish sub to go with...K-Horns! Stop this is funny

If you have the space for large mains you should have a subwoofer to match.No small sub like the RW series or no SVS or HSU with a single 10" will even be close to matching the mighty K-Horns in loudness when the volume knob is twisted.I can torture these small subs and make them spit their inards.That is why I have a few,and a few larger too.

Seriously I would at least get a PB2-Ultra with K-Horns,or dual RSW15's.

As good as these feather weight subs are,they are piss poor to match with large full horn loaded mains like the K-Horns.

If you like to match the K-Horns across the board I would look at Contrabass,their belt driven monster will put all single and most dual driver SVS subs to shame.

I have to agree with theear, even the SVS PB12-ISD was not enough subwoofer for my small RSX-5's which are negligible next to a k-horn.

I'm not even sure they make a subwoofer to match k-horns. RSW-15 would be the lowest I would go. I would actually lean towards SVS for k-horns because they are pretty deep themselves and only need help in the very low frequencies which SVS shines in. The PB12-Ultra in a nice natural oak finish should match most k-horns (depending on your color, you could ask svs for a custom finish).

It gave me the power down low I was missing, but not much more output overall then my last subs. It was definitely better but I wanted something with more output, so Im soon going to get either a SVS dB or ultra subwoofer. I'm leaning towards the pc-ultra for its lightweight design over the pb12-Plus/2. I also noticed with the ISD driver that it was a little inconstant. As many subwoofers, they can hit hard for a second, but tend to quiet down. Im not sure if this is the amp or the limits of the driver when it heats up or what ( I really dont know). But I think the ultra driver have more output longevity in that sense.

----------------

On 10/24/2004 10:25:26 PM garymd wrote:

How about the RW10 compared to the PB10-ISD. Aren't they about the same price? I'm still toying with the idea of getting a smallish sub for my khorn system.

----------------

Gary... as blunt as THEear can be he does have a point about under sizing your sub, esp given how efficient those horns are..

I know you will say that you use that system only for 2 channel tube listening, but how loud do those transients get? The sub can quickly run out of steam and it will end up limiting your output even more than a flea powered tube amp.

Have you experimented with your HT RW12 and see how it does? You'd have to try a bass heavy song... hmmm... how about the heartbeat from DsotM which I'm pretty sure you have in your collection?

As a side note, check out the extreme John Warren is going to with his 18ft3 sub described in his TheEAR, I've got something to show you... thread 6.gif9.gif.

Rob

Something I've been meaning to do for months now is to bring the RSW-12 downstairs to try out with the khorns. I really don't need a sub except at low volumes. Late at night when I'm trying to keep quiet, a little extra bass would be nice. At higher volumes, no sub is necessary. I certainly don't need dual RSW-15s! This is 2-channel listening only, and at low volumes. DSOTM shakes the house with no sub at higher volume. Until I remodel the room, I have crappy masonite paneling and thin carpet over concrete floors. I'm just looking to boost the low end at low to low-mid volume.

I'll see how the RSW-12 sounds and go from there. Thanks for the verbal beating guys.11.gif2.gif9.gif I guess I should have expected it.

Ear,

I know how that must have sounded and I should have been more clear.

I fully expect to not need this in 2 years once I get the room acoustics right and I fully expect the RSW12 to be more than adequate for my needs. It's not something I want to invest a lot of money in. If the 12 doesn't seem to be enough, I'll have to re-think the whole deal although I don't think that'll be the case. I certainly will not spend a penny on a sub that'll make it sound worse.