Help with veneer

ricktate

My walnut veneering is coming along good but i got a problem. Seems veneer was a little thin in two spots and i cant stain the spots i guess because of glue holding the backing on. Does anyone have an idea what i can do ,i have let stain sit on it for an hour it just wipes off wont take stain, just need to make it darker to hide the spot somehow. Man this was going good till this happened i have racked whats left of my brain,,lol,,on this...Rick

You might have to go with a dye (as opposed to pigment) stain, delicately applied. A good paint store (NOT Home Depot) should be able to help you, or point you in the right direction. I've gotten some good finishing advice at this forum:

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-knots/

As Dean asked, size and location would be helpful.

Thanks for the help i will check dye out.The spots are pinky finger size right on the front, figures and stick out like a sore thumb i knew this was going to good lol.I didnt worry about the spots right away i thought i could just stain them and move on but now i am stuck. Rick

Rick,

This Summer, I finished my bathroom remodel project, which included remodelling & refinishing a 1940-50's vanity/desk into a bath vanity. Solid maple, it did not want to accept the black pigment stain (Minwax) I had tried. I found out dye stain was the way to go. The stuff is HIGHLY flamable and very tricky to work with, but produced excellent results. Are you going to put a topcoat (varnish, laquer) over the stain? With the black, I absolutely had to, otherwise it would rub off. I ended up spraying shelac over the stain (as a binding coat), then sprayed satin polyurethane (both off-the-shelf spray cans, Zinser for the shelac, and Minwax for the poly). Hope that helps! I have been meaning to post some pictures of the project (because there are some Klipsch speakers in the ceiling!).