klipschless...

jdm56

Well the deed is done; my 5.0 klipsch set-up has all sold. The heresys went to Ontario, Canada, and the cornerhorns and belle went to Michigan. I am officially klipschless. So it's time to get busy finding something to replace them; strictly a 2-channel music set-up.

I heard some B&W's that impressed me very much. The DM604's look promising, but seem a bit high for vinyl-wrapped speakers. The 700 series looks and sounds maahhh-velous, but the price is as rich as the look and sound.

My closest Klipsch dealer does have the RB-75 and some of the THX ultra-2 speakers in stock, so I will try to get down there asap to hear those. RF-35's are also on the list.

Has anyone heard the big Polk RTi12's or 10's? They appear to offer one heck of a lot of cluck for the buck. I have heard Polks that sounded a bit chesty though, like too much lower mid-range. I've not heard the newer ones, though.

Audio Advisor is offering some Wharfedale Opus speakers at half price. They look really nice and appear to be very well made, but I have never heard them. Anyone have any knowledge of them?

Thanks,

Doug

Sure, I would consider the big 7's. I just have a little trouble with the concept of a pair of 10" woofers covering so much of the midrange. I'm sure they sound great, but I just haven't really had a chance to have a good audition of them. Plus, I would assume they are near the end of their run and are due for an updating. I always hate it when I buy something, and then in a couple of months, the "new and improved" version comes out. I remember buying cornwalls in '85, about a year before the cornwall II's were introduced. 7.gif

Don,

A combination of things, really. Number one is probably that I had come to the conclusion that I really was not satisfied with any available room in my house, as far as being suitable for the big cornerhorns. They were either too small, too square, or did not have suitable corners. And the false wall thing, I felt would just make the speakers too obtrusive.

Another issue was my frustration with finding SACD or DVD-A titles that actually sounded better in multi-channel than in two-channel. Most either over-used the surrounds, or ignored them. And the center channel was almost totally unused. So why have all the extra hardware if it does no real good?

The clincher was my "rediscovery" of just how good and magical two channel audio can sound when set-up properly. It renders all the multichannel and ambience modes superfluous, imho.

Lastly, there were some financial "considerations" 2.gif , if you know what I mean.

Audio Advisor is offering some Wharfedale Opus speakers at half price. They look really nice and appear to be very well made, but I have never heard them. Anyone have any knowledge of them?

Thanks,

Doug

----------------

I had purchased some older Wharfedale mfm 1's for my son. Wharfedale makes very good sounding speakers for the price.They tend to use silk dome tweeters and I think neodmium magnets.They have very nice highs.And some of their mids use kevlar.I haven't heard the opus yet but I would bet that they sound nice.

Don't know what prompted the heritage exodus. I tried replacing a pair of Khorns with RF7s and retured to the Khorns for 2 channel. I did look at the Coincident speakers and was impressed. Still for my ears the Khorns gives the best reproduction. Upscale Audio (upscaleaudio.com)in Los Angeles has a pair of Coincident Total Victories (demos, one is dinged) for less than half price. Good Luck10.gif

Yeah, I just got hosed shipping to Canada. it turned out to be twice what I calculated. Cost me $70 extra.14.gif

I heard the RB-75's today. They sounded real good, but there was a TV (of course) between them that I think made the upper bass a bit tubby. I thought the grilles looked chintzy for $600 a pop.

I also went and listened to some B&W's again. The 705 sounded so good! I can't believe they can get all that out of that little box - amazing. I am gonna comb the area from Tulsa to KC to St. Loo to Little Rock for a pair of black B&W 703's I think they could be for me. Those 705's just sounded like MUSIC! One of the best sounding speakers I have heard. Period. Imaging to die for, vocals just floated in air, timbre was so organic and natural - I think I'm in love!16.gif

----------------

On 10/28/2004 1:55:23 AM jdm56 wrote:

Yeah, I just got hosed shipping to Canada. it turned out to be twice what I calculated. Cost me $70 extra.14.gif

I live in the Netherlands, so I'm talking $500.- for shipping Heresy's from Canada. 14.gif

If anyone decides to come and live in Holland after a disapointing election, also fit in 2 khorns and I'll take you to dinner and show you around2.gif

Ouch.

What you did is against my audio religion (your financial needs understood, of course).

There is no way in hello I could rid my home of the Heritage. Not no way, not no how6.gif

That would be like selling my kid. Come to think of it, my Klipsch ARE my kids.

My deepest and sincerest condolences, and may you find something that does make you happy. I do agree that much pleasure can be obtained in a 2 channel environment. But without Heritage? Only if it is Altec or JBL9.gif Compression drivers w/horns, OR ELSE11.gif

JDM---If you want direct-radiators I suggest you go to a Guitar Center and listen to some KRK monitors. They do all the tricks the big-bucks DRs do at a fraction of the price. With the KRKs and other fine small pro monitors that are out there there's no need to go "audiophile".

A.N.,

Yes, I am now a heretic and a blasphemer. Hopefully I won't be banned for my "heresy". 9.gif

T.B,

Thanks for the tip. I'm keeping my ears open for whatever floats my audio boat, that I can afford. I'd like to stay under 2K, but I think I would be willing to go a bit more for those B&W's. If I could just find somebody who'd cut me a deal!11.gif