Soldering Iron

endover

I had the weekend to think things over and took some of your advice and solved the whole problem!

I went back to Rad Shack and traded in my unused/unopened crimp-type connectors for some really nice gold plated screw-down connectors for about $2 more per pair.

I finished all my connections in a matter of 15 minutes and packed up my solder equipment for the next home project!

The other thing that's great about the screw-on connectors is that if you need to resize your wires or change things, you simply unscrew 'em and put 'em on whatever else you want. It was well worth the extra $12 for 6 sets.

Thanks again! (and by the way...it WAS acid core solder so I got rid of that!)

• 2 weeks later...

A good 100 watt Iron should turn your banana plugs and 12 gage wire into a mess real quick ! Something is wrong ...... All you need is a descent 30 to 40 watt iron. Weller are the best but for the normal Joe a Radio Shack will do just fine.

I use a 100 watt Iron to solder main ground lugs to amp chassis. It's a huge Iron and worthless for anything else.

Craig

I ordered one of the COld Heat guns several months ago when it was brought up here on the forum. After what seemed like an eternity, I called to check on my order, they said it had somehow been "misplaced", so I reordered. That was maybe 5-6 weeks ago, they said figure 2 months for delivery. If I ever do receive it, I'll let you know how it works out.

----------------

On 11/17/2004 9:27:08 AM Steve Donalson wrote:

Anyone tried the cold-heat soldering iron? Just curious on how this thing really works..

----------------

I'm leaning on getting this one too. Here's a review at MSNBC and a more detailed one at another site. Looks like it's the real deal.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6151688/

http://www.moddershq.net/reviews.asp?reviewid=32

All of the above having been said, here is a tip from a really old f**t.

Use a dab of KESTER SOLDERING PASTE. It is parrafin-based and non-acidic. Touch a q-tip to the paste and then do a very light dab on the joint. With this stuff, you could solder a snowball to hades.

DO NOT use this on PC boards.

For really heavy jobs, put up the iron and get out the propane torch.

DR BILL

This thread brought up concerns about my current order, so I called 'em last Friday, 11/19. They said it had been shipped 11/12 on USPS ground, would probably take 5-6 days. I was hoping to see it in the mailbox today; alas, no report as of yet.

I promise to get some various sizes of wire and solder smokin' the day it gets here and report back.