80,s vintage La Scalas

BLUESMAN

You're gonna like 'em. Here's the difference in a nutshell IMO:

Take a nap playing the Soliloquy's (I assume that's possible). Quite easy if I know my cones.

Try to take a nap when the LS's are playing. You'll keep getting startled awake, even at less volume than above...

That's the diff...

DM2.gif

EXCELLENT! The Soliloquys maybe the best speakers I've owned but I do miss the Klipsch-"you are there" sound.I've had Forte's, and others. what troubles me is how many Klipsch devotees tout-volume, volume, volume. If that all I wanted I'd buy Cerwin Vegas. Presentation is important too. That's what I'm hoping to capture with the La Scalas. Do they need a sub-hearing pro and con.

Don't get your hopes up too soon. I'll bet when you first crank up the La Scalas you'll be disappointed. I think it takes time to get used to a speaker as wide open and midrange-forward as the La Scala, especially compared to what you've been listening to.

But, match them up to a nice tube amp and give yourself some time to get used to them and you'll be singing the praises for years to come.

What's really interesting, is to own speakers like the La Scala for a year or so and then go back to the speakers you were listening to. You will then realize just how clear and dynamic the big Klipsch are.

Greg

----------------

On 10/29/2004 9:03:54 PM greg928s4 wrote:

What's really interesting, is to own speakers like the La Scala for a year or so and then go back to the speakers you were listening to. You will then realize just how clear and dynamic the big Klipsch are.

Greg

----------------

How true, Greg. A couple of weeks ago I was playing my old KLF10's to a buyer next to my Klipschorns. The first time I heard them together. I didn't realise how small the KLF10's sounded. I actually felt embarrassed trying to highlight the virtues of the 10's... my heart wasn't really in it. Anyhow the buyer took the KLF10's, but I had to discount the price for him.

I think the Belle ALK crossovers will work with the LaScala, won't they? These do a very nice job of taming the midrange if you find it too forward.

Personally, I love the sound of the midrange. It's just the Best in Class and takes a little getting used to, as stated above. The McIntosh should do just fine with them.

----------------

On 10/30/2004 6:48:22 AM rtaylor wrote:

How are the crossovers different for the belles? I thought they use the same components as the lascalas?

----------------

My point exactly. They should be transportable across models.

I have one in my Belle center. A thing of beauty.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems