What yr.are Cornwalls with Serial #3874/3875?

Proko03

Just replied to this point in the other thread. Didn't realize he had a second one here.

Yes, my guess is that these are late 50's, early 60's. If he doesn't take them, call me! I'd be happy to help out 9.gif

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

I am wondering if the second digit is an "S" and not an "8" if they truly have a 4 digit numeric S/N then they will have the small acrylic rectangular Klipsch badge in the center bottom on the front of the speaker. Depending on what they look like the '60 Cornwall was much differently styled than the '61 it was ornate with wide wood trim. A few photos would be real helpful here.

I doubt these are "S" (1977) vertical Cornwalls since production of verticals ended in 1974. They could only be special order (if 1977's) and then even more rare since it's a pair.

But, I will bet money, that these are 1963s with serial numbers 3B74 and 3B75.

With regard to the clear logo: A single Cornwall I'm aware of made 20 units later than these (if they are "B"s) , has a pie slice logo. So the lack of a clear logo is not a killer on thinking it's a "B"

I'm also assuming that the picture Fini posted is of the speakers in question.

Anybody want to cover a bet? Results based on a posted picture of the serial labels!!

Mike16.gif

Back again, fresh from purchasing the Cornwalls in question. The seller mistook the B for an 8, so the serial numbers are indeed 3B74 - 3B75. They appear to be in fine condition. One side panel has a small dent and one of the screens has a soft and parcial ripple of gray discoloration that hope I can clean up, but otherwise nothing serious. Something else though (until the seller came down in price) almost had me leave them behind. Installed on the back of both speakers is a red button that when pressed deactivates the speaker from the amp entirely. I hope this is an abnormality I can live with. He said it was installed so he could use two different sets of speakers from one amp. Unfortunately the test run he offered didn't give any hint of what these Cornwalls are probably capable of. The seller is in the process of moving, with his Macintosh already deeply packed away, so he hooked up his son's Discman and we listened a bit through his dismal Yamaha int. amp. The price was right though and many thanks to all of you for encouraging me to buy them. Fini's snapshot is an accurate depiction. In fact, I think those are them. But how...?

proko03 (In Portland,OR. not Monterey)

Good2BeHome,

There is NO definitive "end date" for production of the now-so-called "vertical" Cornwalls...actually the Cornwall II (first version). Small numbers of these were produced for a number of years after 1974. Generally, these were special orders for a second one to match a previously purchased one originally used in a mono set-up, but pairs were also ordered...and built. How do I know? Because I built them up until at least 1982.

As a matter of fact, there is no definitive production end date for a number of various Klipsch Heritage speaker versions, which is frustrating for those who want to do a history of models and versions, but is the REALITY of how the company operated. This fact also holds true for logo types...veneer types, cabinet types, component types, etc.

What it all boils down to is that if a customer wanted something, and ordered it, then the customer got it if it was at all possible to do it...at least it was that way from 1976-1983...when I was building there.

Historically-speaking, one can only say with debatable accuracy, at best, that certain models/versions of production items stopped being a "standard offering" from Klipsch..."sometime" within a certain year, or thereabout.

For example, there are quite a few pairs of Klipsch speakers that were built for a number of years AFTER the pie-slice logo "officially" was replaced with the copper, then, the later brass rectangular logos...but were originally fitted with the earlier-style pie-slice logos...for as long a supplies of those pie-slice logos remained. Granted, the majority of these were built for factory employees, but the fact remains that they ARE out there. The same goes for cabinet types, components, etc.

Another example: Although the "HDBR" flush-front style of Heresy cabinet "officially" went out of production in the early fall of 1977, I personally built at least 50 pairs of these for employees from saved-back matched parts for at least another two years, including my own pair...all of which were also equipped with pie-slice logos...and most of which had K77 tweeters instead of K77M tweeters.

How does one know if he/she has "landed" a specially-built pair of originally-employee-owned Klipsch speakers from that era? Possible Indicators are as follows, and can be any of these or a combination of any of these:

1. consecutive serial numbers ending in 99 & 00 OR 00 & 01 (normally done)

2. the label will often be overstamped in red (which fades rapidly with age) "Salesman Accomodation Sample Not For Resale" (required,but sometimes NOT done)

3. along the rear edge of one of the cabinet panels, the owner's name will often be stamped into the edge plys there...just like the serial number was generally stamped ito the upper panel rear edge (normally done, unless requested NOT to be done)

The first Cornwall is easy to tell it is rear ported.

I belive all klipsch made before 1960 were dated on the Id tag, with Number only serial no letters.

I have only seen one rear ported Cornwall,the one I found on ebay 2 years ago. Anyone ever seen another?

I am still looking for a mate to mine.

Love to see pic of others.

HDBRbuilder,

Good to hear from you!! I/we have learned a great deal from your posts over the last several years!! Please stay in touch where ever you are!!

I respectfully submit the following:

I believe if you re-read my first post in this thread it will show that I'm aware of the vertical production issues:

"I doubt these are "S" (1977) vertical Cornwalls since production of verticals ended in 1974. They could only be special order (if 1977's) and then even more rare since it's a pair."

By the way, I just happen to own a Cornwall pair that ends in 00 and 01(I knew the signifiance of the 00 & 01 when I bought them), unstamped, so they may be (or not) a pair made for an employee. I picked these up a couple of years ago. They are perfect, as if they came out of the box yesterday!

To Proko03,

Great score!! You Done Good!!!

To everyone else,

Who owes me money?1.gif

"But, I will bet money, that these are 1963s with serial numbers 3B74 and 3B75."

Mike

Who was that mask man?

1963's nice! So the small acrylic logo's last year was 1962 since the '63's have the pie slice logo's on them.

Damn, I never thought about the fact that it could have been a "B" how silly of me, that should have been my first logical guess.

Good score, I have my brother in law's '61's are currently in my possession now and his S/N's are 0284 and 0285, mine are 3A26 & 3A27 the two oldest pairs of Cornwalls as known to the forum folks.