Which would be better for me

Dylanl

I currently have a Scott 299B which I asume is a push pull amp. I want to either go with a 2A3 single ended or 300B single ended. The amps are 4 watts and will be running a pair of Klipschorns. Will I get the bass output I have come to like from the Scott out of a single ended? Which is the best next step? I have the option to buy either one of these amps at a great price (steal), but I need to make up my mind beore they are sold to someone else. I know they are in 100% working order but I will not be able tolisten to them.

----------------

On 10/30/2004 1:19:39 PM Dylanl wrote:

The amps are 4 watts and will be running a pair of Klipschorns. Will I get the bass output I have come to like from the Scott out of a single ended?

----------------

If it's big bass output you're after, you'll not get it out of a 4 watt SE. That's not to denigrate any SE amp. An SE can sound absolutely superb. Even my 20-ish watt per channel PP tube is soft in the bass compared to solid state amps I've run my Klipschorns with.

I don't know about bi-amping the way you're suggesting. A better option if you wanted it all, would be to include a self powered subwoofer in your setup. But the bass output of an SE isn't THAT bad. It just won't go that loud.

Its possible to squeeze 4 watts out of a 2A3 tube but 3.5 is normal and the 300b can deliver 8 watts. With SET amps, its important to look at the parts - especially the iron. The iron will be the most important factor in determining the frequency response, clarity and detail so that's where you do not want to compromise as you will hear the difference. Of course, no matter where you turn, audio is a quest of compromises. The trick is to figure a way to balance those compromises to best satisfy your audio preferences. No one on this forum or beyond is going to be able to determine your wants or needs so you just have to do it yourself.

Having said that...First, you should make a priority list of the factors you listen for in audio equipment. Some terms are;soundstage, detail, frequency response, speed, quiet background, bass "slam", finesse, etc. You most likely have terms that are familiar to you - use those to put together a list. If the top priority on your list is quiet, then it'd be easier to just sell your Khorns and never visit this forum again (except for laughs). On the other hand if your top choice is detail or clarity - and your room will accommodate horns, you're on your way.

The list will determine where you are most willing to compromise. Understanding its a balancing act at best you will eventually task yourself with finding the right amp/preamp combo (Music - room - speakers - sources - amp/preamp - wires - accessories). My VERY generalized impressions are, regardless of speaker choice, SS amps with their higher wattages, will offer more bass "slam" than the other offerings but most come across as edgy, a bit harsh and tend to lack an open, airy sound. P/P amps will not produce the "Thump" of SS but still have plenty of bass for most listeners and can easily drive high efficiency speakers. They tend to lack detail and can sound a bit veiled in the midrange and high frequencies. Low-wattage SET amps offer detail and clarity for that "you-are-there" effect and this becomes more apparent as the output drops. The drawbacks to SET are that they are unable to reproduce the "slam" of the bass and except with the highest efficiency speakers, the amps will begin distorting at higher volumes.

Please remember that these are my experiences and there are plenty of exceptions for each type of amp. Also, this is just a starting point and your findings will most likely take you in a completely different direction as your tastes/preferences change during your journey.

I'll stop now... Have fun -Bryan

Jbryan,

Im currently using RF-7's with modified crossovers, RC-7 Center powered by Scott 99-D mono amp, and for my main amps I have Dynaco Mark III 60w monobloc amps strapped in Triode mode with a tube preamp with a Klipsch RSW-15 filling in the low end. Now, considering I listen to a lot of High Voltage Rock, would the SET 2A3 be sufficeint for me? I want to fill the room with high voltage guitar, slam of the drums and hear the bass guitar thump the room.

We don't know anything about your room, how far back you sit, the music you like, and your listening habits -- so any advice is going to be suspect at best.

I wish I could give you a good answer on the biamping question, but I haven't even figured out if it's workable or not. What you are asking about is what hard liners refer to as "fools biamping" -- using the passive networks with two amps. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. Part of the problem involves the fact that amplifiers are designed to produce the full spectrum of frequencies, and passively biamping evidently makes some of them very unhappy (they see infinite impedance).

I can get the amp for $440.00 bucks. I will not have the chance to listen to it before I buy it (that's the drawback). I have to buy it site unseen. I bought from this guy before and his quality is very good so, I am not concerned with operation. It's going to come down to whether I like the sound or not. My gut tells me for the cost this is a no brainier. If I do not like it I think I should be able to recoup my money.

Sounds to me like you have already decided to do this. At the money you seem to be sure it is a good deal and also sure you can sell it if you dont like it.

So my advice is - go ahead and let us know what your results are.

As for the choice between a 300B and a 2A3 its up to you. The 300B has more headroom at 8 watts, but the SET heads around here seem to lean towards 2A3.

Bi-amping is something that doesnt seem to be well regarded on here either. I would advise trying whichever amp you get straight. If you cant get it to produce the sound you want as it is then selling it for something else would seem to be the best option, rather than trying to fix it by throwing another amp into the mix.