Mono blocks on top of Khorns

playntheblues

...however, numerous companies design and build 'active' loudspeaker systems, where the amplifier and speaker cabinet are integrated for extremely short cable leads, better channel separation, etc.

Subwoofers are probably much more prone to vibration than the Klipschorn. I've used my Moondogs on top of the La Scalas which worked fine, and whenever a tube burst in the middle of the song, it was easy to just plop another one it its place!2.gif

Honestly, Guy, as indicated above, it might be better to not have the amps ontop of the speakers. If they need to be out of the way for pets or children, maybe a sturdy stand/table from Target, IKEA, or Cost Plus would help.

Just a though....

Erik

Just a 'though'? Shouldn't there be a letter 't' on tha ?

In addition to the vibration issue, can the speaker's magnetic field interfere with an amp's operation??

FWIW, the top of my Khorns vibrate quite a bit at moderate to high volumes, I don't think I would place my amp's on top of them if other options are available.

-PB

vibration is not good for tube amps, some people think it is also bad for SS components, some speaker manufacturers are even moving their crossover out of the speaker enclusre to limit the effect of vibration on the caps, resistors and coils. I would say keep you amp off the top of the speakers. tony

If you want you could buy or make vibration isolators to put inbetween your speakers and your amps. Haven't done it myself but have seen two doit yourselfs that were interesting. One used tennis balls and one used those really soft balls that you can squeeze for ?????

Randy

Good idea RT. I've also seen those 'Vibrapods' that should provide some isolation, as well.

I had my Moondogs ontop of my former La Scalas for a few months, and didn't have any problems at all. Lots of speakers manufacturers are also building enclosures with amps already built-in and integrated with the box -- and I just realized I already said this above!

Erik

No it is not a good idea to put your amp on you Klipschhorn. But... I once placed a pair of Khorns on top of a pair of MC30's. I have never heard power amps so dead silent while cranked up to full volume. We all know how hard it is to get an amp silent on highly sensitive speakers as Klipsch heritage.

(If you really try this at home, please know that in Holland you can't sue people for stuff like this2.gif )