Birthdays, hi days and holy days....

maxg

I have had an idea. Stop the presses and all that - its a one off event!

Well it is not exactly brain surgery but what I am thinking is this:

My very silly upgraded TT should really be replaced with something a little less MacGyver and as my Birthday is coming up in January I think that is what I will ask SWMBO to get me.

The thing is that I dont want to spend the kind of money I would like to (if that makes any sense) to get my dream table. In fact one of the main kicks I have gotten out of my own table has been absorbing the changes my "upgrades" have brought.

So what I would like to do is to pick a table that is virtually endlessly upgradable so that I can enjoy the journey to something really special. This will simultaneously solve any and all problems of getting gifts for me from my nearest and dearest for the foreseeable future.

The great thing is - I think I have found the very table. This will not be the cheapest way to get from A to B, but it should, with a little luck and a following wind, get me to something that represents the best source I have ever heard, namely this:

master_reference4.jpg

The Clearaudio Master Reference - all 14,000 Euros of the monster.

I heard this table some 3 years ago in what was otherwise a rather simple and basic setup and it simply blew me away. It was as near to sonic nirvana as I can imagine.

The good thing for me, at this point, is that Clearaudio encourage the upgraders and the entry point along the line to this table is this:

evolution1.jpg

I could start with that, sans arm for 1800 euro (that is retail price - I think I can get a fair amount off that). I understand it will take my existing project 9 arm that has been fully upgraded in itself. It probably wont, in the early stages, be such a huge leap from what I have now - but it should be slightly better and it is the first stepping stone.

As you can see comparing the pics - there wont be a whole lot of the original left by the time I get to the final stage - if I ever do, but this is a huge opportunity for me to start a journey that will take years to complete and should provide huge joy along the way.

I wonder what the rest of my system will look like by the time the first picture resembles my TT more than the second?

Wow, that is indeed a long, yet beautiful journey towards the holy grail!

Why this type of arm? Transrotor and VPI also have great upgrade options, although VPI is a bit too expensive in Europe... As is Klipsch! 7.gif2.gif

Why these questions? Among other things one of my next gadgets will have to be a TT.

Greetings, live long and prosper (towards the holy grail).

Tim

Tim,

There are definitely other options here. It is just that the Clearaudio Master Reference is a table that I heard and was stunned by. It was to my ears the best I have ever heard bar none. That arm is a linear tracker and something to behold in the flesh. According to people in the know and whose opinions I respect, it is second only to the V.G.E.R. arm (an air driven thing that is just too weird to have in the house).

All in all it will definitely do for me - for ever!

Ok, in chronological order:

Win - thanks - nice sentiments.

Seti,

My current TT looks something like this:

new%20tt%20from%20top.jpg?dc=46754477983

although I have since changed the platter for a glass one:

isolation.jpg?dc=4675473544143696647

Nicko,

That is where I will end up (hopefully) but not in one go - I cant afford it and, in fact, expect to get more joy from the journey towards the ultiamte goal.

Edmond,

thanks - I always welcome help to spend my money - you have a PM.