Sub Crossover Freq. with LaScalas

mark1101

Just wondering where everyone sets the sub crossover frequency when mated with LaScalas. Mine are at 100 Hz. I could get by setting them lower, but I get much fuller sound at 100 Hz.

I am using the subs set on only about 1 3/4, not even on 2. So they are barely on, but they make a huge difference. I am also using an EQ which helps a lot tuning the bottom end for my room.

Thanks

100Hz seems high, I am suprised that it does not sound boomy to you. You must remember that when you set it to 100Hz if the crossover has a 12db slope you are going as high as 112Hz. I would most likely suggest 80Hz as a starting point and dropping it as low as 60Hz which is about where the La Scala begins tapering off. However, it is what sounds/works best to you and your room.

I had my Velodyne's crossed at 60Hz with my Khorn's but found that I was missing alot because most DVD's, Music Video is all geared at the THX suggested crossover point of 80Hz so I went back to it. The bass was there but the perceived impact had lessened some, I want my impact! My volume levels are on like "3" with the NAD T163 sub setting at +2db.

60HZ sounds good to me. That will pick up the bottom octave that the Lascala misses. That is where I set the SW-15 with Heresys also.

I don't like a sub with the Khorns. The Khorns -10DB point is 28HZ and the bass is so fast that a sub muddies it. Of course I can't afford one of those $8-10K super servo subs either. They might be better.3.gif

Rick

I started with 80 Hz because Dr Hsu recommended that. I also tried 100 Hz but when I disconnected the main speakers I could start to hear some unwanted content at that frequency. I place the sub behind the couch, so it's not desirable to have sounds at high enough frequency that I can detect their origin.

It sounds very similar at 60 Hz than at 80 Hz, but I stayed with 80 Hz to reinforce the bass. I think that seeing the frequency response graphs posted a few days ago also confirms my choice of 80 Hz.

Not that my LS's are still set to large, but sub is set to "LFE + L/R" so it gets low frequency content as well.