Cornwall IIs arrive damaged-Repair Advice?

boom3

Good news...functionally, they're fine. Bad news...they were improperly packed and have the following cabinet damage: two crushed MDF corners (one knocked off to a depth of about one-half inch), one rippled corner, one deep, narrow gouge, and one ding on the front edge veneer.

If these were made of plywood I could just take my razor saw and excise the damaged layers and replace and re-veneer. I've never dealt with crushed MDF before, though. I think I can just putty the gouge and put veneer over it. But the crushed/broken corners are another matter.

Oh yeah, I am pursuing the seller.I e-mailed him with pix last night. I gave him specific packing instructions-that he acknolwedged in writing- and paid handsomely for the shipping. He claims his shipper disregarded his instructions and he's contacting them today.

Also, is it safe to Febreeze the grills (off the boxes, of course?) These had been in a smoking home.

Any advice welcomed. OTOH, my S.O. had never heard any Klipsch products before and was very surprised at what wide dynamic range can do for fidelity.

Kinda made us want to sit up all night and re-play our fave disks!

thanks!1.gif

Sorry to hear about your damaged Corns. I don't think I could ever have a pair shipped you are just asking for damage. I too have the same trouble, I give explicit packing instructions, pay the additional premiums and get an item that was not packed as I asked! I never would trust any UPS Store!!! unless I got to see the finished pack job prior to shipment.

Instead of Febreeze on the grills, go to Kmart and get a can of Bissell's Upholstery Cleaner (blue can) it has a scrub brush top. This stuff will not only remove the smell it will remove the dust and grime and make them look and smell like new again. You will have to vaccuum off any hair or lint when done. It dries fast and the grills can be returned to speakers in 20 minutes or less once done.

Sorry to hear about your shipping damage. I had a similar experience with a set of La Scalas. Bottom line, nobody owned up to the problem consider extra payment for professional packing. I will never again have large speakers shipped. I waited over a year to find a pair of Khorns locally to prevent that kind of trouble again. Good luck with the repairs. Unfortunately I don't have any idea on how to repair MDF.

Hey Boom3, Saw your post earlier and have been thinking about it. Here's one idea that may or may not work, so here goes. Few weeks ago, on the forum, there was a posting of a set of ebay LaScalas that had grill cloth all the way around the sides and 'solid' wood or veneer tops and bottoms with matching 'strapping' on the vertical edges or corners. This would hide anything.

Anyway, if you take that idea and mesh it with your predicament, what about somebody with some woodworking skills making a false removable top and bottom that would slip over the damaged surface. This could be as easy as a sheet of veneered material with some coving cut and mitred to 'slide' over the original cabinet kind of like a tupperware lid. When you want to move the speaker, you'd be moving 3 pieces. That might work. Take care. Hamish

You could try Marglass from your local marine shop. Marglass is a fiberglass filled patching material that sets up much like bondo. Mix as directed and apply it to the area of damage. This is tuff stuff and will stick to almost anything except oil. Once it cures, you can sand it out level and replace the veneer in either a spot patch or the entire panel.

Many craftsmen hand cut the veneer directly on the area with a razor or veneer saw. Trick here is overlap the veneer on the cabinet and cut the veneer and the original veneer beyond the damaged area in a pattern that will blend the patch into the existing veneer. When you lift the new veneer, just use a sharp chisle to remove the old veneer from the cabinet to where your cut line is. Glue the patch on the cutout and press it down flat for an hour. Use minimal amounts of glue and avoid glue in the splice edges. The glue will show through stains and finishes. When cutting veneer, use multiple passes with the razor to avoid "tearing" the grain. Keep the cuts at 90 degrees from the surface.

One more thought, if you should feel inspired for a major project... if you notice BEC's post below on building a speaker test box. It is basically a cornwall cab with extended motorboard to accomodate LaScala horns. Anyway, he has the dimensions down for the proper internal shelf port thingy in the Cornwall and a contact with a cabinet maker with a cnc router. If you were up to building new cabs, he is a good contact for the cabinet shop. It is surprisingly reasonable to have the parts cut. Could be shipped flat for you to assemble.

One more thought, if you should feel inspired for a major project... if you notice BEC's post below on building a speaker test box. It is basically a cornwall cab with extended motorboard to accomodate LaScala horns. Anyway, he has the dimensions down for the proper internal shelf port thingy in the Cornwall and a contact with a cabinet maker with a cnc router. If you were up to building new cabs, he is a good contact for the cabinet shop. It is surprisingly reasonable to have the parts cut. Could be shipped flat for you to assemble.