Best Genesis Concert DVD?

Jabez Scratch

I'm a huge Genesis fan, both eras. Both The Way We Walk and Wembley are available in North America. The Way We Walk has five different camera angles for the entire concert, which is pretty cool. Both DVDs are good quality. Buy the one that has the songs you like most! I wish they'd release Three Sides Live on DVD, the Abacab tour was fantastic and had the great "The Cage Medley" which is my favorite live track post-Gabriel.

I hope they can dig up footage for some of pre 76 tours, they were truly spectacles!

If you want to give the Gabriel era a try, get "Selling England By the Pound", probably the most accessable of those CDs. Foxtrot has the epic "Supper's Ready", the undisputed highlight of the early Genesis shows, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a concept alblum that pulls out all the stops. Both box sets also have a lot of good live material on them.

Genesis is releasing another box set (studio material, some remixes) and a DVD of all their videos at the end of Novermeber, and a 5.1 channel remix of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway SACD is in the works.

Thanks -- older Genesis is righteous. I also liked them, but I never realized how much of a quality musical group they are (were?). I've been drumming since I was ten years old (so, for almost twenty years) and have always admired Phil Collins as a drummer. In fact, I think he is one of the most underrated rock drummers (although those in the know do consider him one of the best).

Phil is an amazing drummer. His drumming seems to have a lot more jazz influence than most rock drummers, and he really makes odd time signatures work. Back in the old days, he was fast as greased lightning. When you listen to "Genesis Live" from 1973, it sounds like there are two drummers.

In 1976 when Phil took over singing, they had Bill Bruford drum the tour, when he and Collins teamed up for pieces like "Los Endos" and the instrumental sections in "Supper's Ready", the results were astounding. There is a video bootleg of a show on that tour circulating in the ether. Lots of excellent bootlegs around for even very early Genesis shows.

Losing Steve Hackett was a big blow to the overall musicianship of the band. Hackett was quite a unique guitarist for a rock band. The guitar work on "Firth Of Fifth", "Return Of the Giant Hogweed" and "The Lamia" are particuarly righteous. But his departure also forced Mike Rutherford to pretty much give up the bass. He was an excellent bass player, not so much a great lead however.

----------------

On 11/5/2004 4:20:08 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

Thanks -- older Genesis is righteous. I also liked them, but I never realized how much of a quality musical group they are (were?). I've been drumming since I was ten years old (so, for almost twenty years) and have always admired Phil Collins as a drummer. In fact, I think he is one of the most underrated rock drummers (although those in the know do consider him one of the best).
----------------

I saw Musical Box about a week ago and found it to be an interesting show. This is a Genesis cover band that performs a 'note accurate' rendition of Genesis shows. The current show is the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour. They are using the actual slides from the original show. The props are re-creations but were up to the quality of the original show. The sound was pretty poor and very localized to the center of the auditorium. Otherwise I would suggest that if you get the chance to see the show, that you see it.