How hot is to hot?

chris98007

Just got my full Ref Setup. Also purchased an audio cabinet. The cabinet is enclosed with a glass door. I have the onkyo 800 on the top shelf. What i noticed is that not only was the top of the cabinet a bit warm, the top of the reciver was VERY warm to the touch.

I did put in a small fan to the side to cirrculate some air. That helped a bit. I have the back of the cabinet cut out to accomidate the wires. Just wondering what people have done to keep the cabinets cool.

Thanks.

Chris I have a H/K 525 and within the first hour of use I could hear its internal fan running, At that time I still had the backing on my cabinet, and what I thought was ample clearance above, Im not big on the idea of letting my equipment run till its thermal protection kicks in. Also the fan was audible at lower listening levels and your fan(s) might also be heard running. I agree with dkp in that you should take the backing off,I did and also rearranged my equipment to give me a good 5 inches of clearance above my receiver. The fan has never gone off again, and even after 12 plus hours of continual use, and it runs much cooler.

ok, so bought a digital thermomitor. Everything off was about 70 degrees. played a few movies and the temp got up to about 81-82 degrees. Then i truned the fan on which just cirrculates the air and the temp got up to about 88.

Do i need to bring cool air in and then blow it out? How hot is to hot?

----------------

On 11/10/2004 9:44:58 AM chris98007 wrote:

ok, so bought a digital thermomitor. Everything off was about 70 degrees. played a few movies and the temp got up to about 81-82 degrees. Then i truned the fan on which just cirrculates the air and the temp got up to about 88.

Do i need to bring cool air in and then blow it out? How hot is to hot?

----------------

you need to bring outside air into your cabinet......

the best way is to exhaust hot air out of the top back of your cabinet..... cool air will be then sucked into the front of the components.....

this is a diagram of the proper cooling in a pro rack..... same concept works for consumer equipment as well...

vbkventing.gif

you can blow out the top or the rear of the rack near the top...... get some 12 vdc or 24 vdc fans and then run them at a lower dc voltage to reduce the RPM rate - you still will get air movement but at a lot lower noise level.....

the other option is to go with an AC fan controller like this....

fc4module.jpg

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/cooling.htm#fc

The Middle Atlantic Products proportional thermostatic fan controller extends equipment life and reduces service calls by varying the fan speed of up to four fans based upon temperature. The fan controller has 3 temperature ranges and can be set to operate the fan speed either proportional to temperature, or to come on full speed when the temperature threshold has been reached. This UL Listed device can also be turned on or off via a local switch, and includes status LEDs. The fan controller can be mounted to rackrail brackets or any flat surface, and is also available as an MPR series module and is manufactured from galvanized steel with a durable min-spangle finish. A temperature probe is provided with a 5 ft. wire. This controller is designed to work specifically with fans that are offered by Middle Atlantic Products, or other fans with similar specifications. Max load 1 amp/120 volts

i used one of these for about a year with an old receiver that got extremely hot.... the sensor (at the end of the cable in the pic) is placed on top of the hot piece of equipment - as the temp rises the AC voltage gradually increases - speeding up your AC fan until the preset temp level is reached.....

again this allows for cooling with only the minimum amount of fan noise...... this system is not cheap.... about $95 online or so for just the controller.... and you need to add fans above and beyond that as well....

http://www.stayonline.com/rack_cooling/6783.asp

http://www.twacomm.com/Catalog/Model_FC-4.htm

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=MAP%2DFC4&cat=RACKSCASES&subcat=&prodClass=RACKFANS&mfg=Middle+Atlantic+Products+Inc%2E&search=0&off=

but really.... if the temp only goes up to 82 degrees - you really don't need to add any fans...... check it out after leaving it on for a longer period.....

1.gif

----------------

On 11/10/2004 10:34:56 AM chris98007 wrote:

interesting. so i should blow air in from the bottom, then out the top. Why DC fans? I can get AC fans which are easier to deal with.

So your thinking is 82 is not so hot. What is the breaking point in temp?

----------------

if you just exhaust air out the top back, you won't need to blow air in from the front......

it will operate just like your bathroom exhaust fan..... (notice in the above diagram - only one fan in the rack located at the top rear)

DC fans tend to be much cheaper and it is also much cheaper to feed them lower voltages.... a simple multi-voltage power supply that allows you to select the DC voltage with a switch (3, 4.5, 6, 9, or 12 volts) can be had for about $15 or less....

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=273%2D1667

273-1667.jpg

82 is really not that hot..... the fan controller that i listed above will not even kick in until 85 degrees..... IMHO anything below 95 degrees should be ok....

good luck!

1.gif

----------------

On 11/10/2004 10:41:41 AM minn_male42 wrote:

82 is really not that hot..... the fan controller that i listed above will not even kick in until 85 degrees..... IMHO anything below 95 degrees should be ok....

----------------

it depends where the probe of the termometer is placed.

if the 80 degree are on the cover of the amp, the inside of the equipment is more hot and the electrical component are probably above 100 degree!!!

if there is some space around your amp and if some air can pass arround your amp i think you should not need some fan.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 10:48:45 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 11/10/2004 10:41:41 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

it depends where the probe of the termometer is placed.

if the 80 degree are on the cover of the amp, the inside of the equipment is more hot and the electrical component are probably above 100 degree!!!

if there is some space around your amp and if some air can pass arround your amp i think you should not need some fan.

----------------

you are correct......

generally, if you can't hold your hand on the top of the amplifier/receiver - then you might need additional air flow (like a fan)....

1.gif

ok, so i understand the ac dc thing. If i get a dc fan and splice it that plug in, i can adjust on the plug in how many volts are going to it. This way i can slow the fan down.

Last question:

So i will start by cutting a hole in the back for the fan to blow out air. Any fans in particular? I know they state air movment and fan noise. I also know they come in different sizes.

Thanks.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 10:52:43 AM minn_male42 wrote:

generally, if you can't hold your hand on the top of the amplifier/receiver - then you might need additional air flow (like a fan)....

1.gif

----------------

this advice is a very good one2.gif

most of the equipment are made to works without fan.

if the equipment need a fan the constructor place a fan inside the unit.

before buying some fan, try to make some hole in the cabinet.

it s the simpliest solution and you will avoid all the problems the fan can bring.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 11:00:17 AM neomartic wrote:

What about my DVD Player and Receiver question?

See Above.

----------------

if your receiver does not get hot, you should have no problem stacking your DVD player on top.....

try it for awhile and then see how hot the bottom of your DVD player gets.....

1.gif