tennis ball 6sn7's

seti

What's the purpose of the bulb glass envelope? For aesthetic purposes only? I would assume they'd be highly microphonic (correct me if I'm wrong). They'd be neat to own, but if they're just so-so Chinese stock, then I'm sure my '50s NOS RCA 6SN7GTB blackplates sound a whole lot better!

I had seen some vintage 300b tennis balls but not the 6sn7 bummer oh well all looks no performance hmmmmm think I dated a girl like that once. I don't have a backup pair of 6sn7's so I have been shopping for some since my sylvania's bit the dust.

thanks

You're right, seti...there are a few high-end balloon shaped 300B mesh plate anodes out there, but they're pricey. And I too, love my Mullard GZ37, with it's slender (unique) coke-bottle globe. Maybe if the tennis ball 6SN7s are cheap enough, you can buy a pair and report on how they sound. Surprisingly, the stock Chinese military 6SN7s that came with my preamp aren't bad sounding at all, and if my RCAs were to give up the ghost, I wouldn't be too ashamed to reuse them (until I could replace them with NOS).

Just a thought...

----------------

On 11/11/2004 1:28:19 AM sunnysal wrote:

btw, IMHO the EH 6SN7 is a gaint killer. it sounds GREAT for the money...I think you should buy a pair of those, tony

----------------

The 6SN7's are for my George Wright pre so I have some recomendations for tube replacement from him. What other 6SN7's do you guys like? I should get a couple pair when I order so I can do some tube rolling. I have found tube shopping to be overwhelming because there are so many choices black base/red base/silver top etc and I am a newbie to buying tubes.

The other night almost tore up my listening room looking for a cricket and it turns out it was just on a song I was listening to LOL. I felt like an idiot.

I must say I have never listened to them. This was on the creatures album boomerang which I have been listening to over and over again for a while so I am not sure why I only just noticed it but I just could get over how real/natural it sounded.

I think disappointment would probably be the outcome, though some time ago I read a post by a forum member who swore by cryo treated Chinese 6sn7's. It was by someone for whom I have considerable respect and they weren't all that expensive so I bit. I was indeed disappointed. That said, the 6sn7 seems to be circuit dependent. I mean, a given 6sn7 will shine in one amp and be so-so or worse in another.

Forget the designation of another tube that was interesting looking, and old Mullard stock. Anyway, it could substitute for 6sn7 in a number of amps and was quite pleasing cosmetically pleasing. Reviews were quite mixed, mostly leaving me with the impression that it would not be worth the considerable expense.

On my Wright 3.5's, I never found anything that sounded better than Sylvania Chrome Dome 6sn7's. That is also what Geo Wright said to use if one wanted to upgrade from stock on his amp. Had to test that claim, and found him to be exactly right! No pun intended.

10.gif

---------------

On my Wright 3.5's, I never found anything that sounded better than Sylvania Chrome Dome 6sn7's. That is also what Geo Wright said to use if one wanted to upgrade from stock on his amp. Had to test that claim, and found him to be exactly right! No pun intended.

10.gif

----------------

Thats what came with my GW Pre I suppose I should pick up another pair.

I had some spare tubes that I rolled to but one of them has a deep purple glow on one side of the tube right in the middle the other tube does not do this. What causes this and is it anything to worry about? My 300b's have a blue glow but that is normal and has always been there.

it depends on budget and I find that these tubes really vary in sound greatly from one application to another so it is hard to recommend 6SN7s if you do not have exactly the same equipment BUT I love my 1947 Tungsol Black wrapped roundplates. they are expensive but they are the best sounding tubes I have ever tried in my amp. a close second? the brand-spanking new EH6SN7...they sound THAT good in my system! that is why I recommend them to try, they are cheap and will sound great, if you ever go with some expensive NOS tubesm the EH make great backup tubes. do a search of 6SN7 to find comments form others (and from me) about alternatives, shootouts, etc. warm regards, tony