6.1 vs. 7.1

tpg

Well, I've been doing some thinking and receiver shopping...

This thought just came to me. DD-EX is a matrixed 6.1 native format, correct? And DTS-ES can be either matrix or discrete. So why bother with 7.1 if 6.1 is really the true discrete form (considering that I'll use DTS 100% of the time when available)? Do the two rear surrounds essentially play the same material and just act as a more expensive rear center (surely not)? But, is there really a benefit to 7.1 over 6.1 is we just have to do mroe processing to achive it?

Either way, I'll probably end up with 7.1... heh But I just had to think about that. My receiver seems to be going down on me in certain ways, so I am looking around. Thanks

Not that I have a single clue of the sound quality difference between 6.1 and 7.1, I truly believe receiver makers are just coming out with a "new and improved" version of the same equipment, putting a new label on things. Only one point of difference I can possibly relate to it... if they ever come out with a home version of an I-Max theater receiver, then it might be worth forking out the extra dough.

(Not that I have a clue what I'm talking about, I'm new to this forum...)

7.1 is basically 6.1....with two rear speakers playing the same source in mono.....This would be good for wide rooms where to better fill in the sound field 2 speakers work better then 1....

there is no Source material for 7.1...

6.1 source material is:

DD 5.1EX where the rear sound is matrix (derived from) the side surrounds source...

DD 5.1 where receiver decodes MONO info from side surround signal and sends basically the Common material to rear surrounds For this to work your receiver has to have ability

DTS-ES AKA 6.1 All discrete...Ie each channel has its own source encoded...

DTS-5.1 where receiver decodes MONO info from side surround signal and sends basically the Common material to rear surrounds For this to work your receiver has to have ability

IMO only reason for 7.1 is....

1. ya have identical speakers laying around and ya wanna hang em...

2. your HT room is wide and the surround field has gaps in it...

3. It looks cool...

4. HEHEHE Cause it is FUN

There is a reason for 7.1 even though the surround back channels are identical. The purpose is to avoid front/back reversals. If a single surround back channel is used, it is difficult to be certain that the sound is coming from the rear and not the front. This can be disorienting during a movie.

If a room is big enough, I recommend dual surround back speakers. The THX Ultra2 requirement for mounting is that they be less than 4 feet apart. THX Ultra2 takes 5.1 material and turns it into 6.1. Dolby PL IIx is now available to do the same and more than THX Ultra2 on non-THX receivers.

Bill

John,

You are the best judge regading sufficient space. Sufficient space is a "Do they physically fit?" exercise.

RF-35s would be dynamite side surrounds for 5.1 music and movies. They may be overkill for surround back speakers. If I owned the speakers and they physically fit, I would try them out. There is only a bit of labor to loose, and much to possibly be gained.

Bill

I am running a pretty cramped setup right now... just 5.1, though. 6.1 or 7.1 would be really cramped, but when I upgrade receivers, I am not going to just get a base-line entry level receiver... I plan to get something pretty darn nice. I am looking towards at least THX Select, but would love to go all the way to Ultra2, even though it doesn't make much sense (to me) to do so with my current setup. I saw a Denon 4802 on uBid today... and really wanted to bid, but didn't. I probably should have, it seems pretty impressive, and MUCH cheaper than it was new. I'll probably spend $500-1000 on a new receiver when the time comes, but in this price range, 7.1 is pretty much all that is available. How does one set up 6.1 on a 7.1 receiver?

When upgrading time finally arrives (ie when my receiver's DAC finally dies on me- its kinda acting iffy right now) I'll also pick up an RC-3 (haven't done this yet, still running a KV-3) and a pair of RS-3's. Then I'll have RF-3, RC-3, RB-3, and RS-3, which I would think would do quite well for a 7.1 setup. I am more in a money-saving mood, right now, though. I feel kind of bored and want to buy something new, but at the same time, really don't want to buy anything. I guess the right receiver hasn't crossed my path yet...

To answer the how to setup 6.1 on a 7.1 reciever. Pretty easy. I have a Denon 2803. If only connecting one rear speaker (center). It has it labeled on the back of the reciever. Kind of liked how rca inputs might direct you to the white? jack for mono..Anyway when going through the setup on the reciever(onscreen made it real easy). At one point it asks how many rear center you have connected. Most of the time the light on the reciever only shows that there is a signal going to the rear center, not that it is getting a discrete signal. Only a few movies I have seen where a discrete signal was sent to the rear center. MY room is a little small to so I couldn't add for 7.1.

See pic attached3.gif

post-13414-13819259311458_thumb.jpg