Martin Logan Prodigy or Definitive Technology BP7000SC

mmiles

Guest Anonymous

My last system was B&K 507, ML Ascent front, Theater 1 center, and Arius rears.....My cornwalls blow them away so much so that after returning them to Tweeter, my new friend the Manager Don, told me, after hearing my set up, He has nothing in his store to beat what I had turned my system into. In other words, FUGGETABOUTIT, you will be real sorry. Unless you NEVER listen to rock. The ML in my system, to my ears, are great with clasical/jazz...anything else hurt my ears. GO HERITAGE2.gif9.gif

By the way, when set up right, with a bit of tweaking, like I have done, and , this is with no room treatment in a terrible room. My speakers disappear.3.gif3.gif3.gif10.gif10.gif10.gif

I never cared for Def Tech's older stuff. Their new 7000 series has gotten rave reviews, but even they sound much to bright and tinny to me. I've never actually heard the 7000's, but have heard the 7001s and 7002s and didn't care for either. Awesome bass but not a fan of aluminum tweeters. So my vote goes for the logans.

I've listened to some Martin-Logan Ascent speakers through the same amp that I have (B&K Ref 200.7), yes they did have a nice, detailed sound to them. However, I found that I liked the sound of the RF-7s better, especially for the music that I typically like to listen to (symphonic power/prog metal, mostly, with some straight-up hard rock thrown in for good measure). The Klipsch just has so much better dynamics. The music just felt so much more "alive" on the Klipsch. Plus, the detail was just friggan unbelievable on the Klipsch with the B&K amp. Also, I noticed the music had a much better "presence" on the Klipsch, especially percussion/drums. They seemed to be so much more "real" on the Klipsch, like as though the drums were actually in my room.

As for the Def-Tech, I've never got the chance to hear them, so I cannot really comment on them.

I would go with the DefTech BP7000SC. I just got the BP7002s with the BP2xs and the CLR2300, hooked up to a Denon 3805. Well worth it. THe low freq. capabilities with those speakers, are AMAZing. Def Tech BP7002s were compared to a pair of ML costing $45,000. "There is an emotional connection with these speakers." The way that they fill a room, is just awe-inspiring. As you guessed, my vote would be go for Definitive Technology.

I think these are very different approaches and provide different sounds...it comes down to your music choice and preference...as you can read we all have difference tastes.... one person may put on 100db techno and want to feel like they are in a club...or 100db hard rock drum solo looking for that live arena sound....compare that to another person who listens to female solo vocal, piano, acoustic guitar, and wants a more traditional auiophile experience.

----------------

On 11/14/2004 7:52:50 AM DTLongo wrote:

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the top of the line DefTechs with Klipschorns? If so, what were your impressions?

----------------

I've heard both--I haven't been back on here in quite a while, and the last time I posted about Def. Techs (of which I greatly enjoy) I got into a huge battle that was childish and esentially pointless.

I've Heard Jmoltly's setup (sorry if I butchered your name J'!!!) and I've heard the top line Def techs (which are incredible for CERTAIN things, lacking in others -lacking only in a/b compairison though..) and I own BP2000Tls, and a all Def tech system. So with that said, my honest impression is this:

Def techs are very hollywood--flashy, room-filling--but they lack accuracy and finnesse that is needed to make certain music truely shine.

I like Def Tech's for movies, because they are larger than life--and their lack of "accuracy" (I'm useing accuracy as a relative term here, not in the pure audiophile sense of the word) transposes itself well to some film.

For music--there is no question--the Khorns out perform the Def techs. Their imaging and dynamics are just incredible. In fact, I wouldn't even consider this a fair compairison. if you want to compare the KHORNS to something, I would say a better a/b would be B & W 802s. (this is a hard one...they both are termendous speakers and musically are just sooo nice to listen to...)

There is a certain subtlety that a fantastic speaker maintains, and the def techs-though I love them, does not have this subtlety.

I listen to lots of techno and other "garish" sounds, and the Khorns--if they could talk say "turn this crap off and play some "real" music on me!!"

Def techs are club speakers.

Khorns are true audiophile speakers.

Hope this helps a little--feel free comment.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 7:43:37 PM RFinco wrote:

----------------

On 11/14/2004 7:52:50 AM DTLongo wrote:

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the top of the line DefTechs with Klipschorns? If so, what were your impressions?

----------------

I've heard both--I haven't been back on here in quite a while, and the last time I posted about Def. Techs (of which I greatly enjoy) I got into a huge battle that was childish and esentially pointless.

I've Heard Jmoltly's setup (sorry if I butchered your name J'!!!) and I've heard the top line Def techs (which are incredible for CERTAIN things, lacking in others -lacking only in a/b compairison though..) and I own BP2000Tls, and a all Def tech system. So with that said, my honest impression is this:

Def techs are very hollywood--flashy, room-filling--but they lack accuracy and finnesse that is needed to make certain music truely shine.

I like Def Tech's for movies, because they are larger than life--and their lack of "accuracy" (I'm useing accuracy as a relative term here, not in the pure audiophile sense of the word) transposes itself well to some film.

For music--there is no question--the Khorns out perform the Def techs. Their imaging and dynamics are just incredible. In fact, I wouldn't even consider this a fair compairison. if you want to compare the KHORNS to something, I would say a better a/b would be B & W 802s. (this is a hard one...they both are termendous speakers and musically are just sooo nice to listen to...)

There is a certain subtlety that a fantastic speaker maintains, and the def techs-though I love them, does not have this subtlety.

I listen to lots of techno and other "garish" sounds, and the Khorns--if they could talk say "turn this crap off and play some "real" music on me!!"

Hope this helps a little--feel free comment.

----------------

LOL....

someone has come to their senses.....

same thing i was saying during the "childish" discussion...

1.gif

----------------

On 11/16/2004 7:47:39 PM nicholtl wrote:

Whoa, RFinco back from the dead! Where you been??

----------------

glad to see (or horrified??) that I was remembered. Kudos to all of the forum members-and hello once again!

I dropped off the planet for a while, wasn't doing so well in the "real" life, so wasn't doing anything in the virtual one...

Nicholt and Champange --thanks for the inquiry!

Minn_Male42: LOL. you were "kinda" saying this--but you were bashing the hell out of something I so dearly love! remember--way back when--I never said I didn't like Khorns, NOR did I say Def techs compared to them.

I Listen to explosions and drum and bass and Techno, and for this sort of stuff-def techs are great. they don't have the nuances however of the Khorn (I still think def techs beat up on other klipsh "direct" speakers (aka the stuff that Paul K. didn't really design or implement--RF series for example), but thats a arguement for another day!! 2.gif )

The Khorn makes subtle music shine--it brings the music forward, "enhances" the sound. Def techs aren't subtle--they fill the whole room and that cello being played--well its 10ft tall now and being played by a giant. This is great when I'm cranking CTEC, or a set from JOHN ACQUAVIVA or watching BLACK HAWK DOWN at nutty volumes--not so great when I want to "see" the music, or hear all the grace that certain sounds can have. If I had to pick one word that describes what Khorns have and what Def tech's lack---GRACE.

So--def techs--if you want to party and have incredible movie "over the top" type sound (although--how is the "new" Klipsh THX nonsense?? is it everything it was supposed to be? I'm out of the loop here...). I still believe this, and I welcome people to come over and listen (though my BP c/l/r center 2000 is a bit tinny...I need a new one I think...)

many audio places really like def tech--they stopped carrying them though because def tech in a stupid marketing idea decide to implement a "carry our whole line, or carry none" policy. Well--their higher end speakers are quite nice--their lower end stuff--eh...its fodder. Smaller audio companies who can't afford to have wasted stock were then forced to find a different speaker company to fufill certain price points.

If I had my options for a dedicated home theater--I'd go with either Khorns with some beafy subs, or 802s. at those price points I question if you can do better....

For now though--I'm quite happy with what I have. I just wish my apt had more power!! (I have to turn everything off when I listen to a "hot" soundtrack for DTS 6.1...otherwise--the fuses go!! Butterfly effect Directors Cut when the sound would phase in for his dream sequences---it would just nuke my power!)

How was the trip to the Klipsch Factory? I was going to go with DPayne and Jmoltly but, I was in a bad place at the time...

Dpayne and I just watched CHRONICALS OF RIDDICK-Directors Cut tonight at my place--not bad...I mention cause I thought that was the movie that was seen on that trip??

I have heard the ML Prodigy and Odyssey. I think they are the only ML speakers to consider. The others including the Ascent i, Aeon i and the Clarity are mere shadows of their bigger brothers - lacking dynamics and the ultimate ability to go loud. The DEF Tech Power Monitors are great for the size, but when moving up in the Def Tech range when music reproduction becomes important, Def Tech loses the plot - lacking in midrange 'bloom'. I agree that for home theatre Def Tech can be impressive - but it's a sound you either like or not. I'm not a fan.

The Klipschorn is a hard act to beat. There are a number of pretenders to the throne, but they all lack in some area. Most competitors are usually much more expensive than the Klipschorn and require huge (read expensive) amounts of power. Many competitors are also very demanding in their setup and make the Klipschorns' corner placement requirement seem trivial in comparison.

The ML Prodigy is a nice speaker. I like the sound. It goes fairly loud as well, but needs REALLY good amplification. I like the Klipschorn better. It goes loud too. But I can get this superb sound from a relatively inexpensive amplifier.

Before I begin this is not a diss on Klipsch. I respect them as a company and have been quite satified with all my purchased (Cornwalls, Heresys', Synergy SF2's and RF7's) to date. This is just commentary (novice at best) only,

Finally did some auditions this weekend. Here are the results...

Definitive Technology

Listed to the BP7001SC and 2300 center channel. Great for movies but lacking in DVD-Audio and 2 channel imho. This could have been the room and amp (mid range Yamaha AVR. Great bank for the buck for HT! I wished the amp and processor where of higher quality. This I'm sure would have made a big difference.

On to the ML's. This was 2 channel only based on the retailers demo room. They were awesome. The setup was on Music Fideltiy electronis. I listened to a varity of music. Motzart, Norah Jones, Stealy Dan, Eric Clapton and Pink Floyd. During the Pink Floyd tracks it almost sounded if there were surrond speakers in the room. The ML where lacking some bottom end but what was there was satifactory for my tastes. As a benchmark I listed to Wilson Watt Puppies just to compare. Of course the Wilsons where a bit more "refined" and vocals where somewhat more "natural" the biggest improvement was in bass. However the "puppies" where 3.5X more $$

too. BTW, the electronis was BAT prepro, FRELL mono blocks and a AYRE player, not bad stuff to have around. FYI ML is coming out with new top end models in March therefore some "deals" can be had with current models. That's all I'll say for now...

For kicks I stopped by a B&W dealer. FYI, B&W is revamping the Nautilus line and releasing new models in January. Most dealers are giving 25% off stock. My bet is you could push them to 30 maybe 35% for a CASH AND CARRY (no credit card) deal since most high end speakers carry 45-50% GM and free freight for large orders.

As for the 600 and 700 series... keep your Klipsch! However the 804's gave my RS7's a good run. They were powered by McIntosh (2-channel) and Meridian (HT 5.1 setup). B&W is not as bright and have a distint warmer sound in the mid range but the RF7s will take them on the bottom end. No one had the the 803's (MSRP $5K/pair) or 801's (MSRP $10K/pair) so I listed to the 802's (MSRP $8K/pair) and they sounded great. For my taste however they where a little bassy but still quite acceptable. This could have been the room as well since the Velodyne DD18 was rattling the track lighting and shaking the aluminum door jam on the glass door. They also used Rotel amps which I'm not a big fan of but thats just me so please don't bust my tool shed on this guys.

So what...

You still get alot of bang for your buck with Klipsch no question but if you want to spend more it might be worth it to some when comparing to the Reference line. The Heritage line is great but they take up alot of real estate. I just wish Klipsch new product was out. It seems like Jan-March will be a new speaker frinzzy!

Regards,

mm