EL34 Amp, Cheap or Cheap EL 34 Amp

Jon Anderson

Someone on the forum may be up to the challenge of tinkering to get this amp working on a set of Heritage. I gave up trying and posted the turkey on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5731812262&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Next up on things to try is McIntosh combo, maybe an MC240 & C28 though likely through a dealer such as audioclassics.com.

Have a great weekend everybody...

Craig -

AC hum. Basicly a poorly designed product. After letting the unit sit unused for 6 months I finally had two local tube shops check out the amp in the past three weeks. Both said same thing, that they could reduce the hum and that new 6SN7's would help but not to my satisfaction. We had a post right here on this same amp back in March. Seller blames my Khorns. I'm sure my AA's from BEC are the crux of the trouble. Right. Getting rid of the wood case and laying out in new chassis would be best course.

I've had contact with other people that bought the Kailin products. Same complaint. They were cheap, didn't work to their satisfaction, seller in LA won't do anything, I finally gave up. At this point I just want to cut my losses and get out while being as up front in the sale as possible.

ja

Jon:

This might not do anything at all to help, but maybe just try it. Get a really inexpensive 3 to 2 prong adapter for the power cord. This will break the earth ground connection that may be causing a ground loop hum between other grounded components -- such as possibly your preamp. Those adapters are available even at supermarkets in their small hardware sections -- or where you would find lightbulbs and extension cords-n-stuff.

Gosh, this kind of thing can sometimes be the result of such a very small thing, even a poor ground connection on one of the RCA inputs. Check to make sure the ground contacts on the jacks are snug, as well.

Can you possibly post an inside shot of the amps? Maybe you don't have to give up yet, although I see that it's already listed on ebay. It's a nice looking amp, actually.

"Bid on it to see if they were wrong."

Jon:

I'm really not in the position to bid on much of anything right now. I think your challenge was largely rhetorical, anyway. At least that's how I perceive it.

In any event, I of course have no knowledge of what lengths you or other owners have gone to in order to solve this problem. I have worked on amplifiers plagued with 60 or 120 cycle hum in the past, and found the problem to be rather elusive, but not necessarily complex or difficult to fix.

Just thought I'd try to help you with it in case the amplifier was one you otherwise very much liked. I'm just not one to give up easily on a problem that I think can be worked out if there is enough interest to do so; and I will say that there is still the possibility that the problem could be fixed. It might need some extra ripple filtering in B+ or filament supplies; the heaters themselves might be better off with filtered DC (if they us AC); there may be a cold or open ground connection somewhere -- that sort of thing. In other words, an amplifier does not just hum. There is something that's causing the problem, and it sounds to me as if you have not been given a definitive reason for the frustrating situation. If the cause had been found, something very specific could have been done to fix it. That others have had the same problem is an indication to me that there is an aspect of the design that can be corrected. A technician's or anyone's decision that the amp is a 'dog,' 'turkey,' 'chicken,' or any other creature because it hums is an incomplete diagnosis -- (for me, IMO, etc., etc.)

But! The amp is up for bidding on ebay, and you may already have some other amplifiers in mind for the future. Good luck with your auction,

Erik

Jon,

That is too bad to have not been able to get this thing running right. I'm sure you are sick of dealing with it. I did have a couple of things I was wondering about. (not that I can offer ANY help whatsoever in the technical dept.) Went back and read the thread from last March. You mentioned that the hum went away when the AC fans were switched off. That is an interesting part of the problem.

In terms of your take on this thing... is the hum a matter of the design or possibly a bad unit?

Best wishes to recover as much of your investment as you can.

Erik,

Thanks for your articulation on the complexity of running down what may be a "simple" problem. Kind of a needle in a haystack type operation. Interesting.