Sony Service Center nightmare!?

Cleve

If anyone is considering purchasing Sony audio or video equipment, you might want to keep this nightmarish thread over at Audio Asylum in mind...

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/194317.html

I found this linked this morning at the Audiokarma McIntosh Forum. Sony should be moving at light speed to make this right - I mean, like sending a rep from Laredo THAT EVENING or TODAY to the man's house or place of business with a replacement player!!! But that's not happening, is it?

Wow! Those machines were $5,000 in 1999 when they first came out! HOLY MOLY!! 6.gif

Not to kick a sleeping dog, but I've not been a fan of Sony for quite some time, as I've had a lot of issues with their equipment in the past. I sure feel sorry for this guy. I hope they make things right with him.

I had a "NEW" sony universal remote that went bonkers all of a sudden. I called sony and they told me to ship it to them for repairs which I did. Came back a refurbished unit that was not working. Had to send it back again for replacement. The other replacement was still a refurbished unit and the #1 key was not working. My wife said to send it back but I decided to live with it (I got the remote as a FREEBIE on my credit card reward) instead of wasting my time and waiting for a long time. Lucky me!

I decided long ago that if I buy Japanese/Asian consumer electronic stuff of any sort, it has to be cheap enough to "write off" completely when it craps out (which it will) rather than pay for getting it repaired.

My PacRim consumer electronics motto: REPLACE NOT REPAIR. Think "consumable electronics".

DM

----------------

On 11/17/2004 3:47:09 PM nicholtl wrote:

If you buy Sony stuff, you have to buy it from an electronics retailer and buy their extended warranty, so that if/when something goes wrong, it's not Sony that you have to deal with.

----------------

Extended warranties kick-in after the MANUFACTURER's warranty expires so your stuck with it.

I'm shocked (and apparently very lucky). I bought the top-of-the-line Sony SLV-575UC hi-fi Stereo VHS recorder back in '92, and it's never given me any problems (my youngest bro still uses it on occassion connected to his HT system). My dad bought the Sony Multiscan 200sx 17" CRT monitor back in '96 (that I'm using right now since my year old Hyundai monitor crapped out), and it's still got a razor-sharp image! Hell, I still own a functional Sony Car Discman CD player for auto use from the late '80s (looks like the D-802K but without the MegaBass or the remote) and a lil' Sony six transistor pocket AM radio my dad bought back in '64 that still picks up far away stations when atmospheric conditions are just right! I do own a year and a half old Sony PS2, and it too works as it's supposed to!

Maybe some of the latest Sony consumer products are $hit, but I always thought they were first-rate electronics. My same brother also owns a year old Sony DVP-NS755V Progressive Scan DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player that works flawlessly for an inexpensive player. And his '90 Sony KV-32XBR50 32" stereo TV is also working like a champ! I can't complain (thus far).

I've had a Sony receiver in my living room for at least three years (can't remember off the top of my head when I got it). My 25 year old JVC finally gave me too many problems, and I ordered the Sony from Crutchfield because I wanted it in a hurry. It died after we had it a short time, and I dropped it off at a Sony facility in Atlanta. They shipped it back (all was free of charge), and it has been working fine ever since. If I had to make the choice again, I would get a Yamaha. My son's Yamaha runs far cooler and sounds great as well. The Sony runs hot, even just sitting at what should be idle current, i.e., just turned on.

Sony makes some of the best video equipment you can find, but repairs on the mini dv stuff may be more problematic than I would want. Getting Canon stuff fixed is a pain as well.