Make Cornwall bass bin

Colin

Daddy Dee, your point is?? I think its good news to get that xover point out of the vocal/guitar range. 700 is too high. The xover point doesnt' affect the cabinet design, just one or two elements in the xover, so could still start with Cornwall and make mods, or just have Bob Crites design and build us a new one.

I guess the point could be that now we're drifting quite a ways from one of the original intents (ok, MY intent) of a homemade Cornwall Centre speaker. Changing the crossover point from 700 down to 450 is about an octave of fairly critical information that is being shifted from a horn driver to a cone.

Timbre experts?? chime in any time...

Michael

Michael.

Bob Crites has mentioned that he thinks the smooth midrange of LaScala and Khorn (as compared to Heresy and Cornwall) is due to the K400 horn which can accomodate the lower crossover frequency. I was curious about how much lower midrange one would lose to compromise with the K500 horn. Crossed at 450 hz, perhaps not much would be lost. I haven't listened carefully to Belle's, but most folks consider them pretty equivalent to LaScalas.

That seems like a pleasing possibility for the combination of sound and attractive cab proportions.

See this is what its like to be a designer. Engineering gets one thing figures out, then accounting poo-poo's it. (no harm intended Bob). I'm just going a bit crazy trying to figure this out.

Another guy has two RF7's for sale, maybe I'll just shuck the Corns and go Reference....NAAAAWWWWWWWW, but for an even grand it is tempting.

Michael

----------------

On 11/30/2004 5:31:15 PM BEC wrote:

But, I understand that the Belle's midrange horn is a bit on the pricy side.

Bob
----------------

For a two channel application in corners, why not build the CW bass bin and another cabinet for the top end? In a corner, the mid driver could hang out of the back with plenty of room.

Terry

Guys, the LS/BELLE can be crossed over HIGHER than the Khorn due to the short (30") length of the bass horn and having only 1 fold. It could be made to go even higher with a widened throat opening (the horn throat itself is 6x13"). I imagine that an 800Hz crossover point is not unreasonable with the K33E in such a case.

DM

colterphoto1

I Like your idea #2. I don't want to change any porting. I do think the speaker would have to be on a riser. I basically want a narrow la scala that is taller and without a horn loaded woofer.

The heritage line is too "fat". My wife really hates the looks and I have to agree a little. It would be nice to have a custom cabinet with a nice dark,finish to look more elegant. I wouldn't want a mesh-like grill either like the cornwall. I would rather have a nice grill just over the woofer driver so that the wood finish would be more exposed from the front.

So you build cabinets? I'm considering a bare cabinet like Bob Crite's project but with different dimensions. I could buy the drivers and crossovers from him.

My wife and I went to listen to the B & W Nautalus series for demo with the same set up as mine. We were ready to dump a ton of money on the 801's. My wife loves their look. However, we both didn't feel these didn't offer that much more than my current scalas. I couldn't believe it. We were ready to drop 10K on these things. The bass was definately better but that was it. My two subs with my current setup was more appealing. THEREFORE, my wife actually was interested in a possible profect as mentioned above. She would like a dark stained wood cabinet that is taller and more narrow.

jc

----------------

On 11/30/2004 5:31:15 PM BEC wrote:

But, I understand that the Belle's midrange horn is a bit on the pricy side.

Bob

----------------

Yes, they are. A while back called Klipsch parts to check them out. After being excited about the K401 priced at $50 was taken aback that the replacement for the K500 (K530, I think) is priced at $137 each, as I remember. Ouch. The price isn't actually all that bad, but in contrast to the K401 it seems odd.

How bout pricing for the driver? Lets assume K77 stays the same, K33 the same, x-ver moderate differences. There's always the JBL mini-cheeks route, but then again we're straying from original Corn design too far. Got to keep that xover point within what +/- 1/2 octave or so and keep horn type the same (radial,exponential, Constant Directivity) or else the timbre goes to heck

(i'm getting really tired of timbre matching)- almost makes ya want to go fully Reference- nnnaawwww

Michael

Michael,

You are right. When I first heard a pair of Beyma tweets on Khorns I thought it was the cat's a$$. After a while of listening I realized for whatever it's strengths were, the Khorns didn't sound like Klipsch. Interesting to go through this process of thinking the K77's were weak, but then realized I wanted my speakers to sound Klipsch. Haven't heard the JBL babycheeks, but to see the magnitude of work and expense that John Warren has done to do the babycheeks right is a whole other level to achieve. For my interests, the venerable K77 will work o.k. I have even acquired a renewed taste for the little rascals.