Ideal Khorn Crossover Points

ssh

Thanks, Dean. Phil Marchand, who designed the crossover, recommended using a 24db/oct slope module. Is there any advantage to that change, & would that change the ideal crossover frequency? I can order the crossover (XM44-AA) with different modules.

SSH

"Why do you think he suggested a 24db/oct slope?"

Less driver overlap, lower distortion, less comb filter, greater power handling...etc..etc...

I'd go that steep (or even steeper) if you are biamping.

What versions of each driver are you running? If it is the older K55s I'd probably try lowering the crossover a little down from 6k since they don't get up to there all that well anyway. Maybe try 5k or so, the steeper crossovers should allow this fine with the tweeter. Of course if you bi-amp with crossovers like this it opens the door to further mods such as different drivers all together very easily.

Shawn

An XM44?

For a Klipschorn you want:

12dB 400hz Q=1 low pass

24dB 400hz LR high pass

12dB 6Khz Q=1 low pass

24dB 6Khz LR high pass

I also like a 31hz high pass Q=2 on the woofer section (this can be added to the woofer section because not all the poles are used for the 12dB 400hz Q=1 low pass).

SSH:

I think the 6KHz figure is correct for the tweeter, but I like Shawn's idea for a steeper slopes -- certainly 24db/octave. I have been working on a design of my own using 18db/octave slopes, and think you've gotten good advice from Marchand. I am VERY CURIOUS about your impressions when all of this happens! Please let us know what you think, what differences you perceive between active and passive crossovers in the K-horn, as well, of course, if you try this in a bi or tri-amped system. An active network may really be (at least subjectively)the ideal way of dividing the frequency response between the 3 drivers.

Very Interesting!

Erik

I would go with a 6K figure for the 12db to 18db xover point, mine are 6500Hz (ALK-A), lower xover point is 375Hz (6db).

With high frequency divers, the lower the xover freq, the higher the probability of damage to the driver diaphragm due to excessive excursion or voice coil burn out from excessive heat.

DM2.gif

" the lower the xover freq, the higher the probability of damage to the driver diaphragm due to excessive excursion or voice coil burn out from excessive heat."

That is only if the crossover slope is the same between the two crossover points under comparison.

Compare a first order filter at 10,000hz and it will be putting more energy (12db) into the tweeter at 2500hz then a fourth order filter at 5000hz would.

The steep slope will limit the amount of energy the driver sees even with a slightly lower crossover point compared against a higher crossover point and a shallow slope. I posted measurements I made of the K55V and K55M here a year or so ago and they really don't get up to 6kHz flat with the rest of their range. That is why I suggested lowering the crossover point somewhat.

I've used a Marchand crossover for bi-amping an older center channel. It originally had a 3kHz passive first order crossover in it. Using a 48dB/octave active crossover I ended up lowering the crossover point to 1600hz (or 1800 I can't recall which I settled on) and the speaker sounded better then before and increased its vocal clarity from less interaction and beaming of the woofer. No problems at all with overdriving that tweeter (an expensive Scan-Speak) either, in fact it sounded cleaner this way at higher volumes then with the higher crossover point.

Shawn

Marchand XM44 ordered from Walter Wergrzyn (On Audiogon search Marchand), a Marchand dealer. For bi-amping, the only crossover point in contention is 400hz, since mid/high will both go to one amp (pr of monoblocks). Slope will be 24db/oct, as recommended by Phil Marchand & seconded here.

Now, I'm wondering how to run the Marantz in multi-channel, using the Khorns. Another pr of LaS???

9.gif

Thanks again for the help, guys. Pics will come in a couple of weeks. I'll be in serious need of good, & probably immediately necessary help.

How did I get here?

SSH