LP labels: Is "Everest" a good one?

fini

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That "Mason Williams Listening Matter" has one of the ultimate country songs on it - "You Done Stomped on My Heart (and Mashed That Sucker Flat.)"

When I was in school, a couple times a year the bookstore would put out a couple of bins filled with Nonesuch, Vox and Everest lps for a buck each. As a rule, they were pretty pitiful recordings, but every once in a while, you'd find a gem.

Musical Heritage Society would record a lot of oddball stuff - I somehow got the feeling they were mining the Archiv vaults. The MHS recording of Pacelbel's "Canon in D," along with "Switched on Bach," were the two "Must Have" classical lps in college dorms in the early 70s.

I picked up some of the Musical Heritage Society LPs just last week (31 discs in all) for less than a buck each. They were all mint, never played, and the collection included Beethoven's nine Symphonies (on nine LPs). The quality is not great but it is not terrible, and my classical collection increased about three fold in one day!

I just cannot get myself to buy any of these. The album covers look like the packaging you see with generic products like paper towels, napkins, mayonase, etc. with the black and white labels. That may sound crazy but my ex-stepfather used to buy all that stuff and it was horrible. The mayo tasted like water mixed with spoiled skim milk and you could see through the paper towels. Don't get me started on the toilet paper.14.gif

You ever see that TV ad for toilet paper, the one with the cartoon bears where the big bear is telling the little one "Uh-uh, you only need to use a little!" or something like that? The point is, this particular brand is more absorbent than the el-cheapo brand, and to illustrate the point, they place two identical wads of TP into little cups of blue fluid (Man, what did that guy eat?), then pull them out. The premium paper has soaked-up all the liquid, while Brand-X has not.

I watch this and I think, does anyone use toilet paper like this? I mean, to the point of saturation? It just seems a tad unsanitary and messy...

Did I stray off topic a bit?1.gif

It's true that most of the Musical Heritage Society no-artwork, white covers aren't thrilling to look at, but it was a subscription service, so they didn't need to have eye appeal. Fancy covers add to the cost of the product. I do have some MHS records with nice covers, though.

One of the best things about Musical Heritage Society LPs is they had a tremendous catalog of thousands and thousands of records. They don't just put out the classic works over and over again like the majors do. As their blurb says: "The Society was the first to issue all 104 Haydn symphonies . . . every Chopin piece . . . every Bach organ work . . . all the Schumann, Ravel and Debussy solo piano works . . ."

They're now out of the LP business but continue to release CDs and cassettes.

http://www.musicalheritage.com/cgi-bin/mhs

----------------

On 11/20/2004 2:05:47 PM analogman wrote:

DO NOT JUDGE THE BOOK BY IT'S COVER!

The quality of any given pressing will be determined by the quality of the recording/mastering chain and the STAMPERS! Blanket condemnation of labels based on packaging, artwork and anecdotal reputation is a BIG MISTAKE! Gary, "Red Seal" has nothing to do with stereo or mono.

As always,

Analogman

----------------

Is it just coincidence that most Red Seals are mono? Serious question. I have dozens of them and can't recall a single stereo copy. Thanks.

Talking of living stereo some of the re-issues of that label are astoundingly good. At the show I picked up:

Sibelius Violin Concerto - Heifetz/ Chicago Symphony - Walter Hendl Conducting (LSC 2435)

Gershwin Concerto in F / Cuban Overture / I got rhythm variations - Boston Pops - Earl Wild on the piano (LSC 2586)

Respighi Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome = Chicago Symphony - Reiner conducting (LSC 2436)

All brand new and sealed but expesnive. I listened to them all this evening and they are all FABULOUS with a couple of capital F's.

All are marked Living Stereo and RCA Victor Red Seal with the words "New Orthophic" high fidelity Recording on them - which is not new - the same words appear on my 1950's mono Red Seal Beethoven Violin Concerto.

Actually scanning through my living stereo collection they all seem to have Red Seal on them. All the RCA mono recordings have red seal as well. They red sealed the lot it seems.