Listening Experience: SS & Toob

fini

I was testing a Dynaco Mark 4 amp today. I don't own a preamp, so I used the pre-out from my McIntosh Mac 1900 (solid state) receiver. I had the left channel tube amplified, and the right amplified by the 1900. Amazingly, I could not hear a difference between the two. The power on each was about the same, and the qualities of sound were extremely similar.

I'm guessing that this has mostly to do with both channels being driven by the same preamp.

BTW, it sounded great!

Weird, huh?

----------------

On 12/3/2004 9:37:14 PM fini wrote:

I was testing a Dynaco Mark 4 amp today. I don't own a preamp, so I used the pre-out from my McIntosh Mac 1900 (solid state) receiver. I had the left channel tube amplified, and the right amplified by the 1900. Amazingly, I could not hear a difference between the two. The power on each was about the same, and the qualities of sound were extremely similar.

I'm guessing that this has mostly to do with both channels being driven by the same preamp.

BTW, it sounded great!

Weird, huh?

----------------

like alot of listening when it comes to auditioning equipment, the particular music you listen to can make or break the audition

-very exposed female/male vocals.....

-sparse instrumentation where you can hear the individual instruments clearly....

-fast guitar passages...

-solo piano...

-thick orchestral works with very full string parts....

-fast complex rock....

my personal audition material - diana krall, flim and the BB's, carmina burana (SACD), mozart piano sonatas, carpenters, boston (1st album), maynard ferguson (SACD)

in all of the above - try to use examples that have the most dynamic range and music that you are familiar with..... pick the right music and you will hear differences in amplifiers, preamps, and source components....

I can tell you without a doubt that you can hear the difference, and you fini have the speakers that will allow you to understand that difference.

Using my Chorus I's and II's the difference is easily noticable with any of my use-to-work Scotts. The difference is the warmth and lack of edge/harshness that is audible comparing your warm sounding KSP400's to say a pair of Corwalls with solid-state. The difference is not small.

The preamp probably negated the difference.

Gotta go to work.

Keith

The odd thing to me is, I seriously doubt I could identify any specific amps in a double-blind test, but I would swear that every amp I have actually lived with for significant period of time has had a "sound" of it's own.

Does that make me a sub-objectivist?

----------------

On 12/3/2004 9:37:14 PM fini wrote:

I was testing a Dynaco Mark 4 amp today. I don't own a preamp, so I used the pre-out from my McIntosh Mac 1900 (solid state) receiver. I had the left channel tube amplified, and the right amplified by the 1900. Amazingly, I could not hear a difference between the two.

Weird, huh?

----------------

It's not weird at all. I would be surprised if you could hear any difference. The human brain has amazing error correction capabilities and it doesn't like asymmetry. Thus, if you're listening to the same track through two speakers, which are being given slightly different tonal characteristics by two different amps, the brain will sort of average the way it sounds, in order to make the sound symmetric across your ears.

I would say that quickly switching between the amps would be a better way of comparing. Also, if you can turn each channel on/off independently, that might work too, as long as the source is a duplicated single channel (just take a CD, rip, remove one track, duplicate it into stereo and burn).

meuge,

I had the Mac set to mono, and was moving the balance knob back and forth (as well as listening to both, in stereo). I can borrow a tube preamp from C&S, and we can do some more experimentation...

i don't think it's your preamp....

i think it is just showing the high quality amp that the mac has.....

for awhile i was using an older pioneer elite receiver as a preamp and i tried more than a few ss amps and a dynaco ST-35 tube amp....

the dynaco sounded drastically different than all of the SS amps that i had tried up to that point...... i was very happy with it until it developed a hum that needed attention....

i had an opportunity to try a carver pro ZR1000 digital amp and i've never looked back....many of the good qualities of the tube amp i had used but with the bottom end impact of a 225 watt per channel ss amp.....

btw - i am using a pair of KLF-30's for my mains...