Klipsch Heresy I Questions

Fyberwire

Hey guys,

After hearing some of my friend's Klipsch F2s BLASTING (his amp was on -40 with the iPod at full volume and it was LOUD), and I HAD to have similar speakers. So I asked my dad if he happened to have any, and he did. I went up to the attic to find 2 1980 Klipsch Heresy speakers in near mint condition. Perfect! Now, I have a few questions for you guys, since you guys seem to know your way around the speakers...

1. Do you have any reccomendations for a good amp for these speakers? I really only looking for something that will get sound out of these speakers, so I don't need anything super fancy. I'm looking for something farily cheap (~$300 at most), I might have a good amp stashed away somewhere though.

2. Also, will these speakers be able to pump out some good bass? I'll take all the bass I can get, so if you have any suggestions for what to do here, let me know.

3. I'm probably going to be listening to mainly rap and hip-hop on these speakers, so if any of the above questions might be influenced by my choice of music, please adapt your answers if possible.

Thanks!

-Fyberwire

All I ever found in my Dad's attic were dust bunnies...

1) Go old school. Buy an old Harman Kardon x30 series - 430, 630, etc... These are available cheap on Ebay. With dual power supplies, they really pump out the stereo tunes.

2) Not really. If you need kick in the chest bass, you'll need a subwoofer. Some decent, inexpensive ones in DIY kits from www.partsexpress.com.

The Heresy will sound like garbage if the right receiver/amp isn't used. I learned this the hard way. Best bet, economically speaking, will be an HK 430 or 730 receiver from the mid to late 1970s. They really make the Heresy sing, provide as much bottom-end as you can basically get out of the Heresy, and just cannot be beat for the price. An old-school receiver for an old-school speaker. A win-win combination!

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I'm actually wondering why my dad threw them in the attic in the first place...I guess he's using his laptop for music now really, but I guess if he's playing music then he's using the home theater setup (Sony A/V Amp, Klipsch 5.1 speakers) in the TV room, which aren't bad at all.

Hmmm, so from what I gather, an old-school amp would compliment these old-school speakers well? Is there anything new right now that I could buy in that price range that would be good for this use?

Subwoofer, subwoofer, subwoofer. Depending on price, I might do this. I'm curious though, my friend has 2 6" bass cups on each of his F2s, and I have 1 12" base cup on each of my heresys. Wouldn't they be comparable bass wise? I'm really new to sound systems, so I don't really know the difference in Freq. response or any of that, but supposedly larger cups are less accurate?

Thirdly, what cables should I use? I hear good things about MonsterCable, so I'm thinking about using those. Also, it seems like the cables use sort of a screw hookup at the back (you tighten the screw down around the end of the cable), if that's any help.

Thanks in advance,

Fyberwire

----------------

On 12/4/2004 11:19:57 PM Fyberwire wrote:

Subwoofer, subwoofer, subwoofer. Depending on price, I might do this. I'm curious though, my friend has 2 6" bass cups on each of his F2s, and I have 1 12" base cup on each of my heresys. Wouldn't they be comparable bass wise? I'm really new to sound systems, so I don't really know the difference in Freq. response or any of that, but supposedly larger cups are less accurate?

you would think so given the big 12" woofer in the Hersey but they don't usually have the big thumpin' bass that typcial rap and hip hop fan might appreciate. I've got some bookshelf Triangle speakers with one 6" woofer that have more bass. Hook up the Heresys and see, you may or may not feel like you want a subwoofer. The Heresys will rock louder than you can stand with a great "Live" sound.

Thirdly, what cables should I use? I hear good things about MonsterCable, so I'm thinking about using those. Also, it seems like the cables use sort of a screw hookup at the back (you tighten the screw down around the end of the cable), if that's any help.

Any good 14 to 16 guage speaker wire should work well for you at this point. And yes, hook the + speaker wire to the red terminal screw and the - speaker wire to the black terminal screw. Don't get this crossed between your amp and speaker or you'll be out of polarity which won't make them sound as good.

Scott

My son has an older pair of the Heresys as well. Although he has an HK430, he is using a Yamaha receiver with them. They sound great. The Yammy runs pretty cool, which is nice, and has plenty of power. The HK sounds very good with them as well, but he has had his old JBLs hooked up to it off of his computer for that. They (HK and JBLs)are boxed up right now as he is living back at home for a short time.

The bass on the Heresy is tight, but doesn't go very deep. This is a part of the cabinet/woofer design for the Heresy that makes it this way. If you want the bass slam, you will have to get a sub.

Enjoy them and treat them nice and they will last your lifetime.

Marvel