Early Xmas ....New Big Screen HD Samsung

sire

The spouse and I were planning on purchasing our first Big Screen after the first of the year. We are taking two weeks off for Xmas so we decided to go ahead and get one and fully try it out during the time off. I have been buying superbit dvds and holding off on viewing them, 32 inch Toshiba would not have done them justice. I have been aching to start watching.

Had the 5674w Samsung delivered yesterday and ordered HD from Comcast two days ago.

Out of the box, I am astonished. I sit 14' away and amazed at the quality. We truly have our own theater. I put in my superbit Fifth Element DVD and watched the first 15 minutes. Completely blown away on the video quality, better than some of the movies in HD on cable. The two weeks off will be fun.

Most likely next large purchase for the theater is to replace the receiver with a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. Of course for the price of the above TV, might be a year or two. Depends on what I can get away with.

Mike

My brother in law bought a 61 inch Samsung DLP set to replace an aging Mitsu.

Wow. I'm saving my pennies. It is hard to justify plasma. No rainbows that I can see.

The Discovery Channel HD is wonderful. So too are plain old DVDs from Blockbuster.

There is much to say for more bandwidth more resolution, etc. Still, it is astonishing how the DVDs, with ordinary NTSC resolution show so well.

Congrats.

Gil

Only watched a couple of shows this weekend. I did have to adjust the comcast dvr. The box was stretching sd 4:3 shows and this looked horrible full screen. Figured that out today.

Spouse misses the PIP function. Unfortunately the tv does not have a built in hd tuner. Hopefully comcast will get that working next year.

Football was outstanding Sunday. Lifesize almost.

Mike

I thought the whole RPTV idea would die with the advent of plasma, lcd and projectors. I was just checking out the market myself the other day with a view to upgrading my 4:3 NEC projector. The definition on some of these RPTV's is outstanding. I like the new 57inch Hitachi C57-WD5000 at the moment. It's crt based but still delivers - especially in reproduction of blacks. and there's no globes to replace unlike lcd/dlp based models.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 4:39:30 AM myriadcorp wrote:

BTW what is super bit dvd?

----------------

Super bit, isn't that true high definition DVD. Normal DVD doesn't offer true high definition, I don't think.

What do you think of the Hitachi, compared to say the Samsung, subject of this thread?

Thanks for your review, Sire. Sound like you got a good buy.