RC-7 and RS-7 connections and bi-wire

78Khorn

I do not own any Reference but I would imagine the posts are pretty standard like the ones on the Legends I have, where spades or banana's can be used. As for the Center sounding better being bi-wired lol, that would be for your ears to determine. I looked at it as well, theres two sets of posts, might as well use'em! On the surrounds however, if you are wall mounting them, you probably will not have enough clearance between the wall & speaker to use any type of termination, at least not banana's anyway??. I just ran the wire through and tightened it down.

No, biwiring does not make a difference. However, replacing the jumpers with good 12-gauge copper wire does help (as far as I noticed). I would say that for good looks and ease of use, you can get 8 spades at partsexpress, and use them and 6" pieces of speaker wire to replace the jumpers. Then, use spades (on the amp end) to bananas (on the speaker end).

----------------

On 12/12/2004 11:25:47 PM 78Khorn wrote:

Can someone tell me what kind of connections are on the RC-7 and RS-7 speakers? Do they take spades, bananas, etc? Also does bi-wiring the RC-7 make much of a difference in sound? I'm planning to use it as a center channel between K-horns.

----------------

5 way binding posts...

SO bare wire, spades, single bananas & double bananas work....

The RC 7 has 2 sets for the HF and LF connected with jumpers...incase you biamp, bi wire etc...

The RS 7 has a single set

Recently there was a very lengthy posting about using a single heritage speaker as a center channel in "mono" mode to achieve a distinctive soundstage between Khorns. I inquired as to using an RC-7 bi-amped as a center channel and was essentially ignored (got no response from any participants).

Apparently it was better to refine the signal into the mono format (requiring some home built electronics) to drive the center channel with. Like yourself I wondered about bringing the soundstage more central through a bi-amped RC-7 using the same signal source. Clearly one problem would be attenuation as the Khorns are so efficient. Some kind of volume differentiation would be necessary to tune the system.

My Khorns are only about 12 feet apart and the soundatge is nicely detailed. While I own the equipment(s) to do what your describing I have not felt the need. Will be interested to hear about your endeavor. Happy holidays and good tinkering to you sir!!1.gif1.gif

Dual banana plugs do NOT work with Klipsch Reference speakers. The spacing between the jacks is not the industry standard. You may use two single banana plugs by removing the plastic plugs in the end of the 5-way binding posts. Banana plugs are preferred because they offer a large amount of surface contact compared to spade lugs or bare wire. Just twist 'em every so often to maintain good contact.

The reason the spacing is non-standard, according to Klipsch, is that dual-banana plugs are use for A/C (house) current in some European countries where Klipsch is sold. Apparently they thought that plugging your speakers into 240 volts would be a bad thing. Strangely enough, I don't know of any other electronics or speaker manufacturer who follows this theory.

There are several lengthy threads on the Bi-wire theory. Use SEARCH in the upper right corner.

Michael

Sorry that you got no reply. It is probably that few have tried it with those specific combinations.

This reminds me of some old story about a writer/potential author writing to and editor asking if he knows anything about "X", expecting a lead and encouragement. "X" might have been vampire pigmeys on an unknown island.

The editor writes back saying, Nope, we don't know anything about "X", why don't you check it out and tell us.

Kinda harsh.

There has been a lot of traffic over what centers will do well with the K-Horns. The Heritage are favored because they share some components. The classic set ups use three identical speakers and that is not easy with the K-Horn.

We'd all welcome news on your experiments. You should not be discouraged in that many centers are a bit of a mismatch but do give good results.

Smile,

Gil

Well right now I'm using my 65" Hitachi TV as the center channel with the Khorns so when the RC-7 arrives it will be a big improvement over the Hitachi. Especially since I don't have room for a speaker like a Belle. I have a dealer close by that sells bi-wire MIT cable in a common insulation so I think I will give that a try for a clean un-cluttered way to try bi-wire.

The info available in this forum is amazing. Who knows when I get brave enough and knowledgable enough I may look to make some upgrades the 78 Khorns for my stereo listening.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 8:33:00 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Dual banana plugs do NOT work with Klipsch Reference speakers. The spacing between the jacks is not the industry standard. You may use two single banana plugs by removing the plastic plugs in the end of the 5-way binding posts. Banana plugs are preferred because they offer a large amount of surface contact compared to spade lugs or bare wire. Just twist 'em every so often to maintain good contact.

The reason the spacing is non-standard, according to Klipsch, is that dual-banana plugs are use for A/C (house) current in some European countries where Klipsch is sold. Apparently they thought that plugging your speakers into 240 volts would be a bad thing. Strangely enough, I don't know of any other electronics or speaker manufacturer who follows this theory.

There are several lengthy threads on the Bi-wire theory. Use SEARCH in the upper right corner.

Michael

----------------

They fit on my RF 7, RC 7 and RS 7..........

Not sure which speakers you mean here....

----------------

On 12/13/2004 12:23:06 PM oscarsear wrote:

Recently there was a very lengthy posting about using a single heritage speaker as a center channel in "mono" mode to achieve a distinctive soundstage between Khorns. I inquired as to using an RC-7 bi-amped as a center channel and was essentially ignored (got no response from any participants).

Apparently it was better to refine the signal into the mono format (requiring some home built electronics) to drive the center channel with. Like yourself I wondered about bringing the soundstage more central through a bi-amped RC-7 using the same signal source. Clearly one problem would be attenuation as the Khorns are so efficient. Some kind of volume differentiation would be necessary to tune the system.

----------------

The use of the "home built electronics" to derive a mono signal to drive the center channel should only be used when listening to 2-channel (stereo) music. This kind of connection won't work when listening to multi-channel music and movies as there is a totally different center channel recorded on the medium...

I suppose if you wanted to be hardcore, you could probably build a device that passively sends out LCR info from both 2 channel and 3 channel sources...just split the center channel send from your reciever into 2 channels. Using two summing devices, sum the L output with one of the center channels and sum the other center channel with the R output. Your 3 channels (LCR) will now be in two channels (LR) so just throw in the original center channel deriver thing. Using good transformers will totally isolate the channels from each other and keep the noise floor down, so you won't be able to notice if there's no input from the center from your reciever (like when listening to 2 channel music). Also, if you use identical transformers in the summing and splitting device, then you should have no net change on the center channel info which won't affect your multichannel enjoyment. Did any of this make sense?

To answer the original question...bi-wiring doesn't make any difference at all. The purpose of bi-wiring is to allow for bi-amping which also requires an active crossover to be most effective. The advantages of all that are really only expressed when driving the speaker to it's absolute limits which you probably won't be doing in your case (even with the difference in sensitivity: 98 versus 104; When driven to their max power handlings, the khorn will only be 3dB louder than the RC-7).