newbie ? i have a pair of klf20 great speakers

chazklf

i think ..i wanted to know if there is anything i can do to protect the speakers?i noticed that it looked like foam/rubber surround on the woofers.is there anything to condition it so the dont dry rot? also where could i pick up a set of rears? looking for second if i could get a pair,not wider then 7 inches its to fill in on the sides.so for my hts consist of denon 3803

klf20

ss1

sc1

samsung dlp467w

old sony dvd(soon to be denon 3910)

I have touched base with Klipsch technical support a couple of times on the woofer issue. Per them, do not put anything on the woofers, including the rubber portion. They are built to last for many, many years without any type of preservative. The only exception to this would be if you have the speakers exposed to direct sunlight, the constant exposure of which could lead to rubber deterioration over time. Therefore, absent keeping them outside, you're ok.

As for surrounds, go for KLF20s (or even 10s) as surrounds. You will need to exercise some patience in doing so. Periodically, forum members sell some pairs or they will pop up on e-bay or audiogon.

Good luck.

Carl.

For ease of mind, it is a trivial process to change out the surrounds of your speakers when they wear out and you can even do it yourself. The first time I tried it I bought a kit which cost me $30 and it took me 4 hours for just one speaker. I can do TWO now in under 45 minutes after having done a few.