Allan Songer, I want to buy.

Cal Blacksmith

I only sell about 100 records per year on average. The records are either ones I pick up at swapmeets or record stores that I know will sell for more on ebay or records that I know a fellow enthusiast would buy if he or she were there. Earlier this week I was at Amoeba Records on Sunset and came across a nice Stereo Hampton Hawes "For Real!" on Contemporaray--it was a early 1970's pressing in great shape for $20--a very fair price. What did I do? I emailed Scott and told him I bought it for him because I knew he was getting into Hampton Hawes! What price did I sell it to him for? $23 INCLUDING SHIPPING. That is how I "sell" many of those 100 records. I also recently sold THE NICEST stereo copy of Johnny Coles' "Little Johnny C" I have ever seen to Edmond for $100. I think I paid $85 for it about 6-7 years ago. I have a PERFECT Mono and another Stereo pressing of this one that's pretty nice as well and I had recently purchased a VERY expensive Hank Mobley record and sold the Coles to ease that pain.

Right now I have about a dozen records that are "for sale." I might list them on ebay next month. None of them have any clarinet on them. I don't really have much clarinet stuff---a few Art Pepper cuts here and there and some Buddy DeFranco and Jimmy Guiffre and even one Lester Young LP where he plays the clarinet. None of them are for sale, but you're welcome to stop by for a listen--let's set something up and maybe invite some of the other L.A. area members and make an afternoon of it . . .

A get together sound good for sure2.gif

Do you have anything with some good horns? harp?

I trust your experience when it comes to your genre of expertise. That is why I asked you in specific. I am interested in vinyl and I liked the "blue note sampler" you recommended a month or two back. When do you get home from work? I am off at 1:30 but for some good music I would wait around for sure10.gif

For those who would like a general overview of some of the most popular Blue Note recordings, there is a 1999 CD release called "The Best Blue Note Album In The World.....Ever!" It's a 2-CD set, the first CD is really the only one worth having (the old stuff) and includes:

Song For My Father, Horace Silver

Blue Train, John Coltrane

Moanin', Art Blakey

Blues Walk, Lou Donaldson

Autumn Leaves, Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis

Midnight Blue, Kenny Burrell

The Sidewinder, Lee Morgan

Watermelon Man, Herbie Hancock

Amen, Donald Byrd

Born To Be Blue, Grant Green/Ike Quebec

The 2nd CD has only a couple songs worth noting such as Soy Califa, Dexter Gordon and Back At The Chicken Shack, Jimmy Smith/Stanley Turrentine.

It's a great chance to discover some of the most popular B/N tunes ever produced and can give you an idea which direction you want to go as far as artists, styles and era. I don't know if it was ever put out on vinyl but I picked up the CD for $10 at Tower Records. I'd be happy to burn a copy for anyone interested.