Home Theater/ rest of basement theme?

IndyKlipschFan

I have been looking into some ideas how to decorate the outside of the HT and the rest of the basement. I have a ticket booth just outside the entrance which will be cool. Outside of the HT will be a bathroom, card table, a pool table and some kind of Kitchen/ Bar scenario along one wall.

I wanted to ask what kind of "Themes" have you seen that really you thought were awesome. And why? Especially, if you have pics!!

Other than maybe a little tacky, building it to look like the inside of Hooters, and of course the Hooters girls to work it for big parties, I am coming up blank. LOL (OK this was a joke maybe a an all male fantasy too.) But hey, married.. but not dead! Besides, some good wings on football Saturday/ Sunday would be great!

So help me out here and offer up some suggestions. I have the usual ideas which may still work.... sports themes, eclectic stuff, I am just looking for ideas from all of you. Let me know!

I'm very much into the modern/futuristic look with all the sharp edges and contrasting colors...black and brushed steel look. I dunno if it's more of a look or a theme. Anyways, lava lamps are cool and other forms of dramatic lighting. I think a darker room would set the mood better.

Why not go for an old jazz house or stand up comedy theme type thing? Ya know, kinda like that place Jerry Seinfeld does stand up comedy before and after Seinfeld.

well, I spent some time in Belgium and I loved the atmosphere in the small bistros. So when we moved into our new house I got to decorate the kitchen which is a kitchen/dining greatroom. I put a sectional sofa and two 40 inch round tables and a pub table. So we can sit 3 at the pub, 4 at the bar facing the kitchen and 8 at the tables, and 8ish on the sofa. Great for get togethers, besides everyone always winds up around the food anyway. During the summer or even warm days during the year this has a door to the outside patio that will seat about 15. My whole idea is to build an entertainment capital so when my kids are in highschool they will want to come hang out here. I want to set it up so we can show a DVD and have it 5.1 in the living room and stereo in the kitchen/dining and stereo outside with a monitor at all three locations.

I am unfortunately limited to a 20' x 21' room, which has to house my two passions - HT and pinball. Ideally, I would have the complete theater - a small area with games and concession, and a seperate screening room. This is not to be, so here is the way I have it set up (and I REALLY need to shoot pics and post them...):

North wall: Entry from stairs, many hung displays (pinball paraphernalia), and left Forte surround.

West wall: Four pinball machines, a ticket booth from a closed theater, computer desk, display shelf and rear wall mounted KG2's.

South wall: Two windows with heavy drapes, full size wall-mounted backlit poster display box from same theater, and right Forte surround.

East wall: Two pinballs, two equipment shelves, RPTV, Forte L&R/Academy center, and SVS sub.

Rest of room: Three restored theater seats on movable platform, two sets of chrome stands with red velvet ropes, two more "cushy" seats, two "leg support" cubes, and a small table to support all of my remotes...;>).

I guess you could say my "theme" is "basic theater/gameroom" - if you are interested, pinball and arcade games seem a natural fit, and are a great draw for guests.

Popbumper

A friend is a Minister. The entrance has pews with cushions on either sides.

For the "small ones" he made a play area of the kneelers, again cushioned, but for the so as to minimize injury.

He has all wood. It's very nice, no Religious aspect except for knowing the seats are pews.

dodger

My whole idea is to build an entertainment capital so when my kids are in high school they will want to come hang out here.

Mandi...

I guess you could say my "theme" is "basic theater/gameroom" - if you are interested, pinball and arcade games seem a natural fit, and are a great draw for guests.

Popbumper...

Thanks!! These are great ideas and suggestions. And I agree especially with Mandi. You get to keep a somewhat eye on your kids if you have some cool toys, things to do at your house too. We grew up with a bar..seated maybe 5-6 people, (Although when we were younger it was pizza and breadsticks and soft drinks.) with a pool table and 1 pinball machine. And your right, it was awesome.

Keep em coming! Room size is 17' x 25'.ish

My 1950's home with knotty pine paneling and 10' wide Bedford (cut limestone) fireplace will be getting an entire art nouveau/ deco redo. Looking at some LeCoubosier chairs, satellite clock in chrome, 'floating' retro designed sofas in nubbly fabrics on turned aluminum legs added to my Bell-O metal and glass audio rack. Of course my black and white photography will be highly featured. Thinking possibly electric orange or a chartreuse green for fabrics. Gonna be WILD!

Michael

Guest Anonymous

why not kind of make it a whole them "at the movies" get some movie posters and frame them up, put the plaques on the wall that say "this theater features dolby digital or DTS" and then integrate that in with some nice contrasting earth tone colors for walls etc. ?

Rdmarsiii: I'm right here! It's been a VERY busy holiday weekend. I haven't even checked my email since Thursday! 6.gif Thanks for the nice compliment on my room.

INDY: Before you make up your mind, think of one thing: Think LIGHTING! Lighting is the one thing that can be used and altered to set the mood regardless of what the room's hard fixtures look like. And it's not that expensive to install automated, zone lighting with pre-programed scenes these days. The fact that you plan to do some live entertaining in your theater room screams "CLUB" to me. Consider some club lighting like I've used, perhaps?. Coupled with the zone lighting it will allow you to change the mood of the area from subdued to knock-your-socks-off in seconds. There is an enormous amount of impactive lighting fixtures out there on the web. I recommend you take a look at low-voltage lighting. 80% of the lighting in my room is 12 volt-type. Only the recessed cans and the black light in the bar are 120 volt.

If you decide to go with a Club theme, then you may consider bright blasts of color, too. Walls may remain neutral (white or pastels) if you don't want to go too wild. But the beauty of having neutral walls is that when the mood strikes you, you can "wash" them in vividly-colored light from flood cans that have colored gels (or bulbs) intstalled in them to really give the room a different look for each party. As far as furnature, I would suggest something smooth and contemporary with solid colors. Also, it's always nice to work wood into the room to give it a rich, organic look. People tend to "trust" wood and they seem to identify with it. It gives the room a feeling of "permanence". Also, choose one metal and go with it. Avoid bright gold, as it is so 80's. I like brushed pewter, or stainless. But, be cafeful because lots of folks are in stainless overload from redoing their kitchens with too much of it. I hope this helps give you some ideas.