Once again the tube question arises

delano

Okay you are all probably sick of my constant changing ideas for my first tube amp, so here it goes again. I was all ready to purchase the shanling stp-80 integrated tube amp when I ran in to these

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108484188

Now here is the question: they are still within my price range and look A1 but would these be too much for a tube newbee or are they probably the "one" to purchase. Remember I am new and I am not sure how to bias tubes and such but all of the talk on the forum about the Macs and I feel I like I have to ask.I also hear that the tubes to replace down the line would probably be a fortune.

So I know you guys are going to say it's your choice and your money and I respect that but I also respect your opinion on the tube issue.

So Here it goes: do I get a brand spanking new shanling for $2,000 Canadian or do I go all the way for the macs?

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Delano

Putting quality totally aside, you pay a lot for the McIntosh name, because it is an extremely well known brand and has a lot of loyal customers and collectors. If you're thinking of reselling some time, that is all to your advantage. But strictly on an initial value basis, you can get other amps that you would probably like just as much for less money.

----------------

On 12/23/2004 6:22:12 PM paulparrot wrote:

Putting quality totally aside, you pay a lot for the McIntosh name, because it is an extremely well known brand and has a lot of loyal customers and collectors. If you're thinking of reselling some time, that is all to your advantage. But strictly on an initial value basis, you can get other amps that you would probably like just as much for less money.

---------------

True enough--but this pair of MC-60 holds almost no collector value because of the extensive modifications and the fact that the chrome pieces have been replated. These amps will be a pretty tough sell in the "collector" market,

Plus, the MC-60 is not the best sounding McIntosh amp--even with NOS GEC KT-88 they don't hold a candle to the MC-30, a pair of which you can buy for $1500 or so in fabulous condition.

I wouldn't reccomend these amps. As far as the Chinese amp goes, I have no idea if it's any good, but I'm sure you can do WAY better in the 2nd hand market . . .

Well, I am not sure what to think, but I recall having seen the very same advertisement used in an ebay auction some months(?) ago - minus the top warning. Of course it could be that this auction didn't reach the reserve price (if there was any), but I thought I'd better mentioned it here.

Wolfram

Delano, you don't have a preamp do you? Isn't that why you are looking at an integrated unit? So, you are willing to spend $2000, and you have Heresy's.

First you buy one of these.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1108937064

If it sells before you can act, you can buy direct from Lloyd at Mapletree Audio. Lloyd is also in your neck of the woods which will uncomplicate shipping.

I think you would like the Dynaco ST-70, heck, everyone else does. You should contact Craig and ask for the photos of the ST-70 he's selling. It may not be the best cosmetic example of one, but you're not likely to find one that sounds better. Craig is using a new Triode front end board that he's put a lot of work into, he also goes bonzo underneath where it counts. If you feel like you need to have something that looks better, Audiogon has few out there for sale right now that might fit the bill.

There are also three other amplifiers that I've always wanted to hear for sale that fall right into your price range.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1106691519

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108941587

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108323024

Any of these with the Mapletree preamp will dust the Shanling. Buy used if possible, it will really stretch your dollars.

Agreed, most Mac collectors would not consider buying a hot-rodded set of amps like these. If you happen to agree that these mods have yielded the finest amps ever in the history of engineering, then you should buy them. But if you are more skeptical, don't even consider their purchase, because if you end up not liking them, you've got to find just the right person to sell them to. Stock ones you could sell easily, but not these. They seem kind of high priced, anyway.

Dynacos are a different story on modding. EVERYONE works on improving those, so it's expected.

Thank you all for your input.

I jsut have to say WOW to the mapletree audio stuff. I live in Toronto and I have not even heard of them. I just checked out the website and for the amount I was going to spend I can get some hand built special edition mono's plus the preamp/headphone amp. I am just so overwhelmed with choices. But just from what I saw I would much rather buy handbuilt in canada than mass market from China for the same price. I would not even need shipping I could drive to his place in less than an hour.

So what do you guys think of a complete mapletree set up with the heresy's and a cd player tbd (most likely tube).

Thanks again

Delano

I don't know anything about his amps, but I know a lot of folks like his preamps. Call him and talk to him, I hear he's very helpful. This works in your favor long term as well. You're new to tubes, and with him being so close, any issues can be resolved almost immediately. I say go for it.

So I think I have it down now.

I am going to go for the Mapletree audio Stealth SE mono Blocks with the Ear++headphone amp/preamp linestage. All hand made Canadian for the same price as the Chinese made Shanling. Now I just have to decide on a cd player.

Thanks again all

Delano

I can't speak for Lloyd's amps, but I do have an Ultra 4a SE preamp which I quite like, especially with 12SX7 tubes. For the money it is great and will only be replaced with either a Peach or Blueberry down the road. Lloyd is very helpful and responds quickly to e-mails. Another advantage is the prices are in US, but he will quote Cdn and you don't have to deal with UPS at the border and their outrageous customs processing fees.

The MC-60 was a lot of money and it was far from stock. It might sound incredible, but the guy is trying to get his money out of it, and why exactly is he selling it. I have a MC-30 and bought it on Alan's, Ben's and Wolfram's recommendations and have been very happy with it. You can't unload the MC-60 quickly due to the many changes, but it does look the mods were well done. I paid $1600 Cdn for the MC-30 in the spring from a seller in Markham and it was money well spent, although Ben and Alan talked me into a pair of 350B's to make the unit sound incredible. Even with these options and other blackplate tubes, it is still a lot less than the MC-60 you have shown us.

Send me an email over the holiday and I can give you a call since I live just east of Toronto.

Don

Hey guys how do you think this would work with the RF5's

I Too was looking at the shanling Integrated STP-80 or the Hit audio MT-32

I even though about used Audio research. but Someone else beat me to the question.

(New to tubes also)

Thank god For you tube lovers.9.gif