A Dream Come True...

deepmukherjee

A lot of talk about "high power" amps, but no reference to amps with low impedance outputs. Also, no reference to the fact that the amps you are using are probably not handling low powers well, and distortion at low power will result in a very thin, harsh sound.

I use the RF-7s powered by a 3.5W tube SET, an 8W tube PP, and an 8W pwm amp. In all cases I get plenty of powerful and low bass. I don't listen at very loud volumes, but I doubt you do either .. not the kind of volume that requires a 200W amp. All my tube amps are configured for 4 Ohm (or lower) speakers. The pwm amp doesn't care except at the high end where the RF-7 matches it well.

I suspect your amp. Can you audition a tube amp? If so use the 4 Ohm outputs. Review entries on this forum for other amps that have been found to perform well with Klipsch speakers. There are tradtional, ss, "digitals," and tube varieties. You don't need power as much as you need quality. If you simply go for more power things may get worse, not better.

Other considerations: Put the RF-7s in corners. Get a decent power line filter (reduces harshness, but doesn't domuch for bass).

Leo

If a 200 watt Krell cannot produce bass on RF-7s, then either the source has no bass or the RF-7s need to be moved to a better position. My RF-7s produce enough bass to do damage to my house.

Most follks that report poor bass need to work on positioning their speakers and work on their listening room.

Bill

----------------

On 12/29/2004 8:22:13 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

If a 200 watt Krell cannot produce bass on RF-7s, then either the source has no bass or the RF-7s need to be moved to a better position. My RF-7s produce enough bass to do damage to my house.

Most follks that report poor bass need to work on positioning their speakers and work on their listening room.

Bill

----------------

I agree!

Or you want your bass to be like the annoying car that rattles next to you at a stop light.

There is bass dont get me wrong, I never said that there was never any bass. It does have a tight, fast pace to the bass. Its not mushy or flabby boom box bass, its more of a tighter higher octave bass. It does vibrate the walls on certain cd's but it is nowhere near as thumping without the sub, the sub adds a whole new dimension to the bass that is lacking in the very low frequencies, that is what a sub is designed to do anyway isnt it? To fill in where the mains cannot reach or there would be no point to sub in a Klipsch system, Klipsch wouldnt bother making them. I love clean and musical bass, and its all there for the taking. The RSW-15 is just what the doctor ordered for the RF-7's and they need it to pound the walls into submission11.gif

----------------

On 12/29/2004 10:09:00 PM mike stehr wrote:

Does higher damping factor equate to tighter bass?

----------------

Yes....

The following is an excerpt from a long article on "damping factor"

"The bottom line is, a really low damping factor can tell you an amp isn't going to be all that great with a highly reactive speaker (the larger a speaker driver is physically, and the more power it is designed to handle, the more likely it is to be highly reactive.) What's really low? Well, if we're talking about 8 ohm speakers, a damping factor below about 30 indicates it's going to have noticeably poorer control of a highly reactive load as compared to an amplifier with a damping factor of 100. How much? It works out to about 10% worse (because you have to factor in the speaker resistance.) As the damping factor goes lower, it gets worse yet. You can hear a 10% difference in speaker control. Trust me!"

Here is the entire article:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mdampingfactor.html

The following also explains damping factor in detail and gives you the math to figure it out:

http://www.bcae1.com/dampfact.htm#demo

----------------

On 12/29/2004 10:24:48 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

....the sub adds a whole new dimension to the bass that is lacking in the very low frequencies, that is what a sub is designed to do anyway isnt it? To fill in where the mains cannot reach or there would be no point to sub in a Klipsch system, Klipsch wouldnt bother making them.....

----------------

No - Klipsch produced a line of subwoofers for home theater use.

Go check out the heritage speaker line and see how many subwoofers are in that line. There was never a subwoofer produced to fill out the bottom of the Heresy's or LaScalas or K-horns. Those were all speakers designed for strictly MUSIC reproduction.

As I said earlier - if you want to artifically pump up the bass with a subwoofer on your music - that is up to you. But very accurate, clean music reproduction with a strong bass is possible without the use of a sub using the RF-7's as mains.

As far as the damping factor goes, PWK wrote an article that showed that the damping factor is a surrogate for output impedance. Low output impedance is a good thing. A high damping factor shows a low output impedance.

As Russ pointed out above, a damping factor above 30 is a good thing. A damping factor above 1000 does not improve control over the woofer, but the low output impedance usually shows better frequency response as the speaker's impedance varies.

Bill

----------------

On 12/29/2004 10:39:03 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 12/29/2004 10:24:48 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

....the sub adds a whole new dimension to the bass that is lacking in the very low frequencies, that is what a sub is designed to do anyway isnt it? To fill in where the mains cannot reach or there would be no point to sub in a Klipsch system, Klipsch wouldnt bother making them.....

----------------

No - Klipsch produced a line of subwoofers for home theater use.

(snip)

----------------

Pipe organ.