Tube amp "restart" after short-term storage

dougdrake

I really think you should buy a variac. Also get a 250w, a 150w and a phillips soft 60w (has to be soft or else!) and run them in series between the variac and the amp.

Make sure the room temperature is at a steady 71 degrees for 24 hours BEFORE bringing the amp into the room. Bring the amp and the variac into the room and turn the thermostat up to 73.5 degrees. Let everything sit for another 24 hours. DO NOT CONNECT ANY WIRES YET!

While the room is warming up to 73.5 you should get some cotton balls and liberally spray them with auqanet. Let them sit in the sun for 12 hours to dry. (the hairsprays only function is to make the balls slightly firmer).

Place the dry cotton balls in a square pattern on the table about the size of the amp. Gently lift the amp up and place it on top of the cotton balls. This will help keep any vibrations to a minimum while the amp is being brought up on the variac.

Don a pair of heavy rubber gloves and SLOWLY plug in the variac. DO NOT TURN IT ON YET! Remove the heavy gloves and put on a pair of merino wool gloves. This particular type of wool will cut down on any static electicity that could escape into your amp. COnnect the variac to the amp & slowly turn the variac up until the hair on your arms starts to tingle. At this point you can take off the wool gloves and go bare handed.

Let it stew like that for about 22 hours. Set a timer! Any longer and you could have devastating results. I'm talking about exploding transistors or transformers. You think hiroshima was loud?!6.gif

When the timer goes DING you can crank the variac up to full power. At this point your private parts should start to tingle slightly. Especially, if you still have the wool gloves on! Let it stew for another 22 hours.

Now, you need to bring the room temperature back down to 71 degrees. Let the amp get accustomed to that temperature for 24 hours. When this is complete, unhook the variac and move it to a safe place about 100' away from the amp.

Then, put on a pair of long silk gloves... the kind that go up to the middle of your forearm...(I use red but white are probably ok too). These will help to keep any oily fingerprints and other residues from getting on the amps finished surfaces.

While wearing the silk gloves, gently carry the amp into the listening room and hook up the right channel first. Let the amp play for 24 hours and then hook up the left channel. Turn the balance fully to the left so no sound is emitted from the right speaker. Let it play for 24 hours like this.

If there is no smoke or fires during this last phase then your amp should be 100% ready for service!

This is how I do it with all my old tube finds. It's a bit involved but I think it's worth it. It should work for you too!