contact and pots cleaning

joessportster

well if anyone can help its you guys i need to get a good quality cleaner prefer aerisol for cleanind some of my vintage gear i just accquired a pioneer ctf1000 cassette and of course was told works great but i need new belts which also tells me i will need to clean it also and it is likely the switches and pots etc... will be staticy, scratchey when adjusted, any suggestions, or a link to a site to buy from thanks Joe

Quick and easy, go to your local Radio Shack store and buy a can of Contact/Control Cleaner (RS # 64-4315). Works great and has less oil that DeOxit, which is a great product. You won't be wanting to get any oils on the belt capstans or idler wheels.

If you happen to get some oil on them, clean them with pure isoprophyl alcohol. Not "rubbing alchohol which has mineral oil in it. You can get pure isophrophyl where ever "dry gas" is sold. The more expensive variety should say "isoprophyl" on the label. (That's the one to use in your fuel injected car or truck by the way.)

Rick

thanks very much for the suggested cleaner lube, i took your advice and ordered a can of the cleaner lube and also got a can of there preservIT, although i couldnt get on the website tubes they wanted me to download 2 or 3 things but parts express also carries the product so i got it there thanks again Joe

----------------

On 12/31/2004 6:58:06 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Hi, Joe

'DeOxit' from Caig Laboratories!

Not only cleans away oxidation and other stuff, but also lubricates and protects!

Many places sell it, too. Just off the top of my head: www.tubesandmore.com.

----------------

Erik, Is it OK to shoot DeOxit directly into the tube socket?

thanks,

Terry

----------------

On 1/1/2005 4:28:24 PM Marvel wrote:

Terry,

That will work fine. Before it dries off, plug the tube in and out a few times to help clear the junk off. Just make sure it's dry before you power back up.

Marvel

----------------

Thanks, Buddy. These are my first tube amps and I am still a bit shaky. I cant find NOS replacement tubes as yet. Anyone out there speak Japanese?2.gif